1st Hunt In Months ... Got A Penny Trifecta!

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Tnet ... it's been months since I've posted any finds. This winter was very cold and very wet in Eastern NC and that kept me from doing much detecting. I've been doing a little research with my new GPS unit, Google earth, and an old map trying to locate some new hunting territory. Using the technology of placing a transparency of an old map on a new google earth map along with GPS coordinates is really cool. I got chance recently to get out to an old house site that I located with this process. The place is in the middle of a 20 acre field and as soon as I arrived at the spot I began seeing broken glass and pieces of brick so I knew I was onto a former house site. Almost immediately I had a great find ... I stumbled upon a pair of partially buried Bushnell 12x50 Binoculars probably lost this fall by a deer hunter. I also had a few finds using my detector: 1842 LC (just barely able to read the date with a magnifier), a toasted LC, 1928 wheat cent, a memorial cent (completeing the penny trifecta), 1961 Rosey, two buckles, a button, and a few other bits and pieces. It was great to get out hunting and have my research pay off. Hope to get chance to hit a few more spots soon before the farmers begin planting corn (a lot of my hunting land has already been planted in potatos).

Attachments

• GumneckMar2011.jpg
    GumneckMar2011.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 277
  • GumneckMar2011LCs.jpg
    GumneckMar2011LCs.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 276
  • GumneckMar2011coins.jpg
    GumneckMar2011coins.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 275
  • 1842LC.jpg
    1842LC.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 270
Upvote 0

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little research goes a long way. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread