1st Metal Detector under $200

GWHayduke

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2005
Been lurkin' and reading and I know most of you guys have more elite metal detectors. I've got a couple of sites around El Paso that I don't think have been worked and want to get started. I know Bounty Hunters are made here and could probably get a good price on one. Hal's Hobby has White, Minelab, Shonstedt, and Garret. And a used MD isn't out of the question either.

I'll mainly be looking for coins, artifacts and gold. What would you recommend?

Upvote 0

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Can't tell from your post if your 1st detector was under 200 or if you are looking for your first one for less than 200? If you want new, go with the Garrett ACE250 (199).If you can buy a GOOD used Garrett Scorpian,White's MXT,Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Lobo, they are all good gold and all around mach's.

OP
OP
G

GWHayduke

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2005
Sorry for the confusion. I'm looking to BUY a good metal detector under $200. I noticed that you didn't recommend Bounty Hunter...I used a cheap one about 15 years ago unsuccessfully. I'll check those out. Thanks for the tips!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
look into the garrett ace 250. they are cool machines for the cash. i have heard mixed reviews on the bounty hunters,having never tried one myself,i can only tell you what ive heard. whites,fisher,tesoros,all of those are good machines.

b1pw3ha

May 17, 2005
Pittsburgh-Pa
Bounty Hunters are good machines. I have found alot of clad with my daughter's pioneer 202. But I just bought the Garrett ace 250 and I will tell you that this is a great machine for the money. It has a pinpointing button that the bounty hunters don't have. So in my opinion I would go with the ace 250 but if you can get an upper bounty hunter model for a better price then I would say go for it then.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hi, I have both and hands down the winner is -----Garrett ACE250, also made in Texas by the way. I can't believe how this thing hits coins ;D There is no other 200 dollar detector on the planet that is worth what the ACE is!!!!! ::) If you're lookin' for coins, the ACE250 is the machine!!!!!
HH
Greg

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
I would lean to the ace 250, as my first detector in the 200.00 range. It does offer a lot of features like the others have said.If you had asked this a year ago the answer would have been diffrent. In the end your decision needs to be based on what is best for you. If you have a dealer nearby try the diffrent detectors, see which one feels best to you, which ones signals sound better
these are going to be the big desicion makers as if it is uncomfortable to you or you cant hear the tones, then frustration sets in.
Finally keep in mind the best finds arent always made with the most expensive finds , they are found by the folks that know their machines the best.
keep us posted on your success
hh
dave+bobbie

S

skydiv

I got a bounty hunter lonestar for 120.00. I have found alot of coins ,matchbox cars, bullets, ring, watch fob, and alot of junk. from what I gather from this site most coins are from surface to 4" down and dig all targets. so I don't find the bounty hunter a problem to start with. I'd go for it and if you like mding save your finds and buy the ace 250.

OP
OP
G

GWHayduke

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2005
Put a bid on Ebay for a Tesoro Silver uMax. Did fair amount of research and looked at the Garett 250ACE for about the same money. Right or wrong, I like Tesoro's philosophy of putting the money into the electronics, not gadgetry and I also figured they're probably a little more acquainted with the desert soils and mineralization. Probably have it late this week or next just in time to get some MD'ing in western NM. Have a bead on a site that has produced a pre-civil war style canteen that looks like it cut open with a ax. Plus one of my favorite canyons with an old homestead and a prospect. Not to mention a few ghost towns.

Tips are always welcome guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread