1st of 4 boxes halves - what do YOU do with NIFC?

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
dam, trying to post this and a picture and Adobe crashed and I lost everything I wrote aarrgghhh

I got 4 boxes today was only supposed to get two tomorrow, two banks that said two weeks, one only took a week the other a couple days to get the halves, getting two more tomorrow.

Anyhow 1st box, no silver but did find

4 Proofs 1994 1997 2002 2012

2 No FG 1983's

10 NIFC various dates

What do people do with their NIFC? I have been putting ones I need in my Whitman folder to make a collection and then putting the remainders back into the coin counter.

What do you do?

IMG_20180103_163021754 a.jpg

Upvote 0

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I set them aside and after I get a roll or two, post them for sale on Craig's List for $1.50 each or depending might even price them at $2.00 each. Have sold two whole rolls at the $2.00 price and only a few at the $1.50 price, but they end up selling. If not I give them out in my tips.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make up a lot of HQ MM's for matched years & make a few bucks in money or cash---- whichever you prefer :laughing9:

sold a lot of 6 gold plated clad halves today for $7.50 (minus 8.9% fees)

save only MS NIFC's & "impaired" Proofs --- all nice & shiny for the Amateur collector---- keep his kids outa gangs, whining, :protest:ing & doin' dope--- when they old & senile--- the kids MIGHT thank 'em :dontknow::laughing9:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept them all at first. After I had accumulated hundreds, I began to suspect that they weren't as rare as I expected them to be. I unsuccessfully tried to trade/swap/move them. I was unable to even get 55 cents in trade each for them, so I decided to keep 2 of each date and mintmark and chunk the rest. I do still keep really nice condition impaired proofs. I just can't make myself toss them, but I have no desire to accumulate hundreds of those either.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Arkie
I tend to agree with you, on the NIFC I put one copy of each date and MM in my Whitman folder and then put the remainder in the CC. I will pop a coin if I get a new one that is better than the one in the folder.

I do tend to keep the Proofs, got 5 out of my two boxes tonight, 4 in one box and a 1776-1976S in the other box

IMG_20180103_204915078.jpg

IMG_20180103_205701801.jpg

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I keep all the NIFC's. Once I get a couple thousand I'll drive way out of my normal hunting range and dump them.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Catch and release

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with catch and release BUT I mount trophies, i.e. I am filling in my "penny board" Whitman Half Dollar folder, need 13 more NIFC to fill all the holes and I upgrade when i get a better example

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
depends if they are a proof

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I count proofs as a separate category, not NIFC to me.

In all my years of hunting I had only found 1 proof half, that was last month, now today in 2 searched boxes and 8 rolls out of the third box I have 6 proofs.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Once you move up to searching multiple boxes a week you'll see them quite often. One suggestion is to check with your local gold/silver buyer for empty coin folders. They seem to always have a stack of them when I need some. I get them for a buck or two whenever I stop in and if they have the nice Dansco folders for that price it is the best. They really make the collection look good if you are trying to sell them. Toss the 64's and 40% coins into them and you might find a market for them on Craig's List. Works well for the Ike's also...

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always kept all of the NIFC's I've found, but I do not have a whole lot of them and it's been a while since I got a half dollar box.

Looking at their mintages, you would think that they would be worth more then what you find on the secondary market. In the years 2008 thru 2012, the mintage for each is under two million pieces. So why aren't they worth as much as the 1987's and even the 1970 version? It may be because there are not enough collectors of them to drive the prices up. Will there ever be more coin collectors then there currently are? I am having my doubts as it seems like every day we are going in the direction of a cashless society.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin collecting will head the way stamp collecting has, there will always be stamp collectors but if you are 70 you are a young person in stamp collecting.

Coin collecting as more people use cards and smart phones will get hurt, it already has been declining, reading Coin World they are trying to see how to get people interested especially younger people

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always kept all of the NIFC's I've found, but I do not have a whole lot of them and it's been a while since I got a half dollar box.

Looking at their mintages, you would think that they would be worth more then what you find on the secondary market. In the years 2008 thru 2012, the mintage for each is under two million pieces. So why aren't they worth as much as the 1987's and even the 1970 version? It may be because there are not enough collectors of them to drive the prices up. Will there ever be more coin collectors then there currently are? I am having my doubts as it seems like every day we are going in the direction of a cashless society.

As with anything, supply and demand determines actual value. It doesn't matter what the actual mintage numbers are, if there aren't enough collectors wanting them to drive up the price. Most of the few collectors that collect these are going to want uncirculated/unimpaired examples. IMO about the only market for NIFC halves, including impaired proofs, is from uninformed/beginning/rookie collectors or little old ladies that know nothing about coins buying a present for their grandchild who collects coins. There are a few of these "collectors" around, but not enough for all CRHers to collect and sell all their found NIFC for profit.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Arkie
That is what I am hoping for at the gun show, there will be a lot of kids there but not much for them to buy. I will have a bowl of Wheaties for 5 cents each and a bowl of Buffs and Indians for $2 each and a bowl of NIFC for $2 each or 3 for $5

Something that the parents can buy for a kid

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin collecting will head the way stamp collecting has, there will always be stamp collectors but if you are 70 you are a young person in stamp collecting.

Coin collecting as more people use cards and smart phones will get hurt, it already has been declining, reading Coin World they are trying to see how to get people interested especially younger people

I feel the same. My kids, their buddies, their friend's friends - None of them collect coins or have any desire to. Both of my boys tried, but it lasted a week and they lost interest so quickly. In a world of instant entertainment and technology bombardment, I can't really blame them. It's all about video games and phones. Just wait until VR reaches the hands of everyone and everything. We'll all be sitting in chairs with VR headsets not interacting with the real world any more. I've noticed that this young generation doesn't collect much of anything except the occasional fads. Even the fads like fidgets and Pokemon lose their attention quickly and it's back to cell phones and video games. Most of us here remember how magical collecting coins was when we were young and a lot of us, including myself, collect more now for nostalgic purposes than anything. Times are just very different, as are kid's interests. It seems sad to some of us, but my grandpa was saying the same thing about my generation, and my kids will complain about their grandkids'. Maybe my kids' grandkids will collect old iPhones (and the tears of the pre-smart-phone generations) ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread