1st Painting Score!

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the first painting I have ever bought. I have considered others that looked like they might be good but I hate to spend money on things I'm not sure about especially in the art world. (I just ain't that rich)

This one was easy as the artists signature was clear and easy to read. I put on my readers and a loupe to check that it wasn't a print and the name popped under sold listings. I paid $5.00 for this water color by Joseph C. Claghorn. It's a little aged...length of window is 28" by 19 1/2".

Hope to learn more about art as it can be another great thing to look for with some knowledge and luck.

Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• 0802141245.jpg
    0802141245.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 671
  • 0802141246.jpg
    0802141246.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 563
  • 0802141914.jpg
    0802141914.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 379
  • 0802141914a.jpg
    0802141914a.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 282
  • 0802141915.jpg
    0802141915.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 311

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! If that is a true original by him it is worth a lot! That is one to definitely have checked out. Is there anything on the back?

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a rear covering I will have to remove, more pictures to come if there is a title.

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suck again! LOL

It's actually "BRUTON" church. There have been others I have found around the net. that all think they have an original. There is one on ebay that the seller misspelled the name but had the rest of the print still attached.J C Clagmore Framed Print "Old Bruton Church Williamsburg VA" No 90 | eBay

Oh well, I learned a lot in checking it out. I have been inspecting this thing under magnification for hours.

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Removed the PRINT from the frame and found the tell tale printers mark on the bottom left. It is still fairly old. I couldn't really lose much for my $5 investment anyway. The frame is gold leaf covered and coupled with the print should still make some cash.

Thanks for the well wishes and assistance everybody!

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it out of the frame (if.possible) and check to see if any paint is on the back or small amounts in areas on the edges (if it lined for framing)

Almost all originals will have artistic. Flaws that occured during the actual painting process.

Also. If I am not mistaken he used primarily horse hair so all brush strokes should be evident.

Excellent artist and awesome piece

stonehenge

Aug 27, 2010
Looks like a print on Masonite. Unless you can see paint dollops and brush marks, it is not an original oil.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it out of the frame (if.possible) and check to see if any paint is on the back or small amounts in areas on the edges (if it lined for framing)

Almost all originals will have artistic. Flaws that occured during the actual painting process.

Also. If I am not mistaken he used primarily horse hair so all brush strokes should be evident.

Excellent artist and awesome piece

He already knows its a print & not an original.

Looks like a print on Masonite. Unless you can see paint dollops and brush marks, it is not an original oil.

He never thought it was an oil, it is a printed reproduction watercolor not oil.

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing I paid only $5 or it could have been an epic failure. Learning costs money sometimes and it sure beats being hooked on gambling or something.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing I paid only $5 or it could have been an epic failure. Learning costs money sometimes and it sure beats being hooked on gambling or something.

Some people say us buyers & resellers are gamblers in their opinion. And in a way they are right because it is always or almost always a gamble buying things your not 100% sure about the value of or the ease of reselling. Sure some things we buy are not gambles but if you ever hit it really big on an item it was prolly a gamble you took that someone else didn't. Just like this painting could have been if it were real.

Whenever you roll the dice with money involved you are gambling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread