1st silver 3 center, large cent, wheats, whats-its, and buckles

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I got out in the 30mph wind storm Sunday, to look for a long gone school or church site on a friends farm I have been hunting for the last few years. I have been detecting the old home site there between the crop plantings for the last several years, and it has produced about 30 wheat's, a couple Indians, a few merc's, a few GW silver quarters, and a lone 1787 Connecticut copper. I have also detected once in a far corner of the farm about a half mile away and found a few flat buttons and an 1880-1808 era half cent. My friend that owns the farm said he saw an old map of the area when consulting with a local surveyor, that showed a long gone school on the property, so we both assumed it was in the far corner where the half cent was found.
I recently read a post here that referenced the "historic aerials" website, and was excited to find that many old maps were also found on that website. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked those old maps and found that it showed the school/church not on the back of the farm where the half cent came from, but rather right up on the main road only about 200 yards down from where the house was, right on the edge of this friends farm property. I searched that area Sunday and only found can slaw, so sadly assumed that the church / school was on the other side of the hedge row, where I do not have permission to hunt(yet). I was bummed out about not finding the old site where I hoped it would be, but fortunately my friend owned the field across the road from where I thought the school once sat, and also across the road from the neighboring farm where I now think the school once was. I was only 10 feet into the field across the road when I got the clear 1850 large cent signal, and another 10 feet in produced the 1853 3 center at 7". I was pleased that my GTI was able to find it, as they are so small and thin I would have had my doubts. The only other items I found in that spot were the two small buttons, and an old flat iron that is not pictured. The wheat's and buckles came from the same home site I have hunted there many times. Anybody know what the "tee handle" looking thing is? The handle part is lead molded with some decoration on it.
2.JPG

I am hoping the neighbor will let me detect in his field, and that it will be the actual school/church site. HH

Upvote 6

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread