1st Silver of 2013 and 1sts for me period!

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Current-Minelab E-Trac, Sunray Pro phones, TW digger
Past-Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
207.JPG 208.JPG 209.JPG 210.JPG 211.JPG 212.JPG 214.JPG 215.JPG 216.JPG 217.JPG 218.JPG

Since I got my E-Trac I've only been able to get out about six times;all to the same park. The first three trips revealed some clad and the bottom of a three merry widows tin(that gave me some hope that some older coins were still there). Than I decided to do some research and found a secluded area of the park that had some potential;it paid off. The fourth trip I scored one keeper, a plain 1929 Mercury dime;my first silver of 2013 and my first merc ever! I was sweeping along in a trashy area listening for high tones when I got a perfect 12-45 and figured I had a coke can/top or maybe a clad dime as it was a shallow target. With my pointer i brushed over some leaves and a thin layer of dirt and there it was. It was caked in dirt and at first I thought I might have found some play money as it seemed unusually small but i gave it a small rub and could barely make out the back and knew immediately what I had. I couldn't wait to get home and clean it under water to confirm it was a merc just to be sure and to see the date. The next trip I got a 46 wheat at about five inches a few feet from where I found the merc. Also right on the surface I eyed a nice little clay marble nearby. This past friday was by far my most successful and interesting hunt ever. I found seven wheats all within a five foot radius, 1 1948 nickle, a 1903 indian head (my favorite), a 'Velvet Grip' garter strap(probably from the 1920's-1940's), and cool bronze/brass? ring with a red stone. The indian head was found in the same hole as a zinc penny interestingly enough. When I pulled it out I could barely make out the feathers and the wreath on the back. I thought it was toast and hoped to just get a date off it so I was esctatic when it cleaned up as nice as it did. Also my first indian ever and definately my favorite find! I was hoping to score my first 1800's coin with it (missed it by 3 years) but I'm still more than happy (it's still 110 years old!) to have found it. My last find was the ring which I'm very interested in taking to a jeweler to find out exactly what I have. It rang up like a nickle 12-15, so I'm not sure what kind of metal it is but it looks like brass or copper but than wouldn't it have rung up higher? I also have no idea what kind of stone is in it. Well thats my rant on the last few hunts I've had. Now all I can think about is getting back out there and finding some more! I'm still waiting for that first barber! Thanks for looking and HH! :headbang:

Last edited:
Upvote 6

kladdhunden

Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the clay marble and nice coin.
that site sounds like a very big treasure chest.

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! You are going to love your ETrac!

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Current-Minelab E-Trac, Sunray Pro phones, TW digger
Past-Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the clay marble and nice coin.
that site sounds like a very big treasure chest.

Thanks, I've tried to place a date on the marble. Based on what I've read it dates around late 19th to early 20th century.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread