1st Time Detecting - Outer Banks, NC Disaster

UNCC-49ER

Oct 28, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Hello to everyone! This is my first time posting at TreasureNet. I went to the Outer Banks this weekend with a loaner Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 from a fellow co-worker who wanted me to try my hand at metal detecting. I have to admit I have always been interested in the hobby. This was my first time ever doing any kind of detecting. I spent about 2 hours total on the beach in Nags Head, NC and only had 5 good hits. Don’t laugh to hard. Looks like I have a lot of learning to do. If anyone has any advise they would like to pass on please do. I need all the help I can get!

Attachments

• Finds.JPG
    Finds.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,104
Upvote 0

Palmetto Digger

Sep 17, 2007
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx550
Primary Interest:
Other
Whenever I get discouraged (lately after every hunt) I take some time and read through the TNet posts. They have a of recharging you for another try. I came home yesterday from a three hour hunt with not much to show but clad and then I started browsing. The next thing you know I'm making plans to hunt on Thursday. There's lots of inspiration here... use it to get fired up.

Matt

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
A few years ago i was in Nags Head NC. and i was watching this guy detect with his home made contraption detector..He then dropped to his knees,instantly i walked towards him to see what he found.....an 8 Reale is what he found...that was the 1st and last time i ever saw a reale in person.

I was down there a few years ago after the last hurricanes they had

good luck you'll find something good soon enough

OP
OP
UNCC-49ER

UNCC-49ER

Oct 28, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Thanks for all the welcomes and the words of encouragement. I haven't given up! ;D I actually went out tonight before it got dark and scanned my back yard. I think I need to replace the batteries and keep playing with the discrimination settings. I dug up a piece of aluminum siding and a hardwood floor staple. I will take all of your advice and put it to good use this weekend. I might just have to hit up my wife's school to see what the kids left on the playground to get some more practice. I will keep the posts coming!

To answer Jackpot316's question, I believe you can search anywhere on the beach as long as it is not part of a protected or national sea shore. I believe the map I looked at showed the off-limits areas in green and they are clearly marked on the map too.

Thanks again all!
UNCC-49ER

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet and your new hobby! It will get better. Remember most people posting here only show the "good stuff" and you aren't seeing the 99# of trash they picked up along with it. The playgrounds are great for pinpointing practice. Keep digging!

jackpot316

Sep 22, 2007
This weekend would be a awesome time to hunt the Outerbanks a big Nor'easter Is blowing in, right now its just starting to blow pretty good and, What I have heard this type wind unearths some good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread