1st time out in 15 years

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
About 15 years ago I got into metal detecting thru some guys that I worked with. I bought a Fisher 1225-X and went out several times. I found a few silver coins, a gold pendant and what I believe is a button back then. Then I got into other hobbies and never went again. About 2 weeks ago I did a search on the web for a commemorative coin that my mother has. One of the sites that I clicked on was this one. As I was reading all of your posts it brought back old memories and I got hooked again. So I went down in the basement and dug out the metal detector. I put some batteries in it and it still worked. The remnants of hurricane Ophelia skirted the coast here in southern New England this past Friday night. So I went down to the beach first thing Saturday morning hoping for a little erosion. There was a lot of sand and not much else. There wasn't even any shells or stones. I got very few signals as I followed the tide out. I did find a new penny and my first ring. I was hoping this ring was real when I found it. It's a nice looking ring with many small stones and one large one in the center. However, I don't see any markings on the inside. It's obviously not solid gold with all the corrosion on it. I haven't made any attempt to clean it at all or have it looked at. Any info you could tell me about the ring would be appreciated. I really enjoyed being out there again. Keep up the good work and keep the stories coming! I love reading all of your posts here.

Attachments

• ring2.JPG
    ring2.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 528
  • ring3.JPG
    ring3.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 526
  • ring5.JPG
    ring5.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 518
  • ring1.JPG
    ring1.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 527
Upvote 0

Ady

Jul 24, 2005
Fantastic find. Isnt it great to get back into it after so many years. I first used a MD when I was in the Engineers in the Army twenty years ago (Clearing mine fields!) and just got back into it theis year. Keep on hunting
Ady

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Nice digs, WTG!!!
Welcome back to the hobby!
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Glenn!

Great ring! Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to reading YOUR stories too!

Nana ;)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting back into it. Nice ring, it could be a low grade gold content like 9K, did you use a high powered magnifying glass? HH, Mike

OP
OP
Glenn-RI

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
Hi Mike. I looked under a microscope here at work and didn't see any markings. I want to bring it in again and take another look. It wouldn't hurt. I'm not a jewelry expert at all. I know very little about rings. It looks like it may have been gold plated. Some places have a shinny gold surface and some don't. I would think if it was the real thing it would have been solid gold with white gold prongs and no corrosion. There would also be markings in it. I plan on taking another look. Glenn

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to MDing.

I had an 8 year layoff of MDing also. 6 months ago I started dating a girl who has a 12 year old son that always wanted to detect. I ordered a new battery and took him. In his own yard he found wheats and a rosie and a merc. All the old excitement came back. I also found this site and read a lot. Want to hunt every day. Since then I bought a DFX and my girlfriend/best friend hunt often. Just found my first barber dime last week.

Good luck and HH,

K

Kentucky Kache

It's not fair to find something like that your first day back. ;D
Great find, and welcome aboard.

OP
OP
Glenn-RI

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
Hi everyone,
Thanks to all of you on the welcoming committee. It's great to be back in the swing of things. Yes Vrent, Rhode Island does have a lot of good places to hunt. It's been inhabited for well over 400 years. I plan on finding more items worthy of posting. ? Glenn

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took four years off and when I got back home all the old civil war sites I used to hunt were off limits,Only if I would of had a good detector back in those days. Congrats on the ring. Looks good to me!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum, Rhode Island Glenn! You're so lucky living near the beach....easy diggings and lotsa rings!

Good luck. Find us sumtin good to look at! ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats a good looking ring glen! im glad you decided to join us! nice finds!!

B

Barelyclad

Hey Glenn (Same name as my brother)

I took a 20 year hiatus and started back earlier this year. Welcome back and to the forum. A ring, no matter what kind, is a great beginning :) I've only found one kids ring so far but look forward to every time I can get out. I seem to be finding more clad and may have to change my sign-in name.

Good Luck and

HH

BC

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glenn, Nice ring! Welcome back to the hobby! It's nice to see another Rhode Islander here! I'm from Warwick, and do alot of park/school/beach hunting! Happy Hunting!!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring, Glad your back into it. I got back into it after a few years off. and just in the nick of time to save about 200 civil war bullets about to be buried under a gated community. I found cw staff button and 8 cw bullets at another const site around the first of the month. Good luck !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread