Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This morning from 10:00 until 12:15, I hunted for the first time with my 5.75 that I just received from Tesoro. Some of you will remember I posted that I destroyed my first one, right out of the box, with a box cutter. Our friend Allen at Tesoro, replaced it with a brand spanking new one. Wow, I am very impressed with the little coil.

I hunted at an old little league park, not the field, but the grounds around the stands and concession, and parking. The stands are all metal, so I quickly discovered it was useless to hunt there, unless I crawled until the stands with a pin pointer. Not. I'll save that for my grandson.

The grounds are super trashy. You name it, it's on top and under. But now, in my 80th day of my career, I know what you guys have said about the merits of a smaller coil, in trashy areas. It's outstanding.

I didn't find any silver, but I was happy with the results. Still learning my Deleon. 1 quarter, 1 nickel, 6 dimes, and 17 pennies. A copper neckless piece that used to attach to a chain. A small replica of the Effel Tower, approxb 3 inches long. Also what appears to be some kind of setting that came out of a ring. Probably costume. I gotta check that out a little more.

Anyways, more clad to go in my clad mason jar, and two treasures to go in my surprise mason jar. Nothing to put in my empty silver mason jar. It just sits there waiting patiently.

Anyways, at least I put the Deleon and the small coil over some coins, and they did their job. Can't wait to go there again. I only covered maybe 15 percent of the area.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the 5.75 attached, the Deleon is like a whole different Machine. I love it.
All of a sudden my "other than pennies" ratio has increased.

2nd time out with the small coil this morning:
16 pennies, 2 nickels, 7 dimes, and 5 quarters. 16/14

And a women's sterling silver ring.
It's bent a little, but I am still happy.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to beat a 5.75 inch concentric search coil for trashy places.

tabman

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe you are so right, Tabman. This morning I was at a ball park. I don't hunt the field, just the fringes, mostly parking.
After many years, it holds a ton of trash, meaning tabs and caps, and foil. Sensitivity between 4 and 5. Setting the sensitivity low is a mental adjustment. Just have to trust it with the DeLeon.

With the 5.75, the Deleon is very accurate. If the screen shows Amy squiggles or not a full bar and jumps around, even a tad, it's trash. Full bar and consistent number and sound, the Deleon is spot on. It doesn't lie very often.
I am having my best success with the threshold just into the red, at 10:00. Disc just under foil.

I actually was hot on buying another machine, like a T2 or F75. But after my experience with the small coil, my urge has cooled.

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep stay the course sounds like a plan for me too here, you are really getting the hang of your unit, those other great units out there and new ones to come and will be around for awhile, it is tempting like you said and here where you are coming from here Vern and like what you've said and will take your advice as well.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep stay the course sounds like a plan for me too here, you are really getting the hang of your unit, those other great units out there and new ones to come and will be around for awhile, it is tempting like you said and here where you are coming from here Vern and like what you've said and will take your advice as well.

Thank you.�� Allan and Rusty have both told me that the DeLeon is a sleeper. Folks just don't understand how good this machine is. However. Not good at all in highly mineralized soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread