South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had some luck at a lost neighborhood near the city. Decided to try a solo hunt there. It’s a 2.5 mile round trip journey with some treacherous parts, so I prefer to hit this site with a hunting partner usually.

I wanted to focus on what we call site 5, last time there found a Trime. My first hole this time within 5 minutes of swinging was a Merc.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1550520634.113824.jpg

Did not find another keeper for 2 hours... but then I found an 8 wheat and 1 Rosie spill. Also found a IHP.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1550521066.600458.jpg

Total wheats for the day was 12, which is my record. (Silver to wheat ratio FTY 11:23)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1550520840.030856.jpg

Only a couple relics.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1550520874.218004.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1550520886.117887.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1550520897.587529.jpg

And I found this horse tack rivet in the leaf clutter. I have read that the anti microbial property in brass often preserves some of the leather, but this 6 layer leather piece was odd.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1550520908.304989.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1550520916.955935.jpg

Good luck out there!

Upvote 24

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry I couldn't make it out that early this weekend. It is treacherous, that's not an overstatement guys. I do plan on going again hopefully next time you decide to hit it. You had a pretty good day doing it solo for the first time. First a Merc spill and now a wheatie spill, maybe a quarter spill is hiding somewhere.

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful day (and apparently well-earned)! The IHP is my favorite of the coins, but the pocket watch is my favorite of all your finds. Nice work!

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry I couldn't make it out that early this weekend. It is treacherous, that's not an overstatement guys. I do plan on going again hopefully next time you decide to hit it. You had a pretty good day doing it solo for the first time. First a Merc spill and now a wheatie spill, maybe a quarter spill is hiding somewhere.

I stayed clear of the well. I figured if I lost track of it and fell down that deep chamber I would be a goner. (Probably a couple other detectorists down there already ...) Wearing my cleats proved wise again as well for the steep bits. We definitely need to go back when the surface layer is thawed and rake all the metal debris away around the main cellar at site 5 and do some serious slow gridding.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful day (and apparently well-earned)! The IHP is my favorite of the coins, but the pocket watch is my favorite of all your finds. Nice work!

Thx Tom. I like the IHP’s as well. There are a lot of them in the ground in PA. When they come out green it’s a bonus!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
One rosie in the wheat spill makes for a much funner spill, imo. Grats on some nice finds.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt! You got yourself some really nice saves there, congrats:icon_thumleft:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stayed clear of the well. I figured if I lost track of it and fell down that deep chamber I would be a goner. (Probably a couple other detectorists down there already ...) Wearing my cleats proved wise again as well for the steep bits. We definitely need to go back when the surface layer is thawed and rake all the metal debris away around the main cellar at site 5 and do some serious slow gridding.

You def, got some cool finds & exercise & the Silver , IH & Wheat's made that walk worth it.

I noticed you said you wore your "Cleats" I'm one of those rare guy's who wear them 95% of the time while hunting , they help with removing a good bit of soil when recovering a target & really help me on my Hunted hard sites as I hit steep hillsides Creek/ Runoff ditches , I get mine at yard sales or the thrift store & wear out about 2 pair a year ( mostly the right foot ), while they are not made to wear all day , they can be uncomfy but until I can afford the $200 + dollar Boots with a deep cleat like sole they will have to work.
Just don't walk on wet or slick rocks , fallen bark-less trees , Ice (that more of an issue in PA than here in GA), you will be all right ' you likely already know this '.

Heck I'd walk 4 miles for a Trime , lol
Good Eve.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds!! I've found those harness rivets on my 1860 permission. Never gave them any thought. Thanks for the additional info on them.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt under the treacherous conditions! :occasion14:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job buddy. I know what you mean about those treacherous journeys to a site solo. I get that nervous feeling when I go solo. Never 100% at ease.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You def, got some cool finds & exercise & the Silver , IH & Wheat's made that walk worth it.

I noticed you said you wore your "Cleats" I'm one of those rare guy's who wear them 95% of the time while hunting , they help with removing a good bit of soil when recovering a target & really help me on my Hunted hard sites as I hit steep hillsides Creek/ Runoff ditches , I get mine at yard sales or the thrift store & wear out about 2 pair a year ( mostly the right foot ), while they are not made to wear all day , they can be uncomfy but until I can afford the $200 + dollar Boots with a deep cleat like sole they will have to work.
Just don't walk on wet or slick rocks , fallen bark-less trees , Ice (that more of an issue in PA than here in GA), you will be all right ' you likely already know this '.

Heck I'd walk 4 miles for a Trime , lol
Good Eve.

In my part of PA the cleats are necessary for cutting the lawn... I need a new pair soon.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One rosie in the wheat spill makes for a much funner spill, imo. Grats on some nice finds.

You know it! When you pull your 5th or 6th wheat from the hole your mind is racing that there has to be some shiney in there as well. I was happy with the old Rosie.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job buddy. I know what you mean about those treacherous journeys to a site solo. I get that nervous feeling when I go solo. Never 100% at ease.

Yeah, I always leave a note for my wife with the park I’m hitting and I leave my Find A Friend app on, but having a hunting buddy along is definitely the best.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty awesome hunt. a pocket watch is one of my bucket listers

Kona Koma

Bronze Member