2 arrowheads .. how old are they $ are they both from the same era ?

cowsaretrippy

Oct 8, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• signal-2020-05-25-213510.jpg
    signal-2020-05-25-213510.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • signal-2020-05-25-213510-1.jpg
    signal-2020-05-25-213510-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
Upvote 9

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never understood the arrowhead thing. There are many people that expertly and openly reproduce these things by hand, then age them in a tumbler or by other methods to order by the dozen.

I have found gold, silver, many relatively modern artifacts, some ancient artifacts and thousands of modern coins.
Never once in my life have I found or personally ever witnessed someone I know well to to have found an arrowhead.
Furthermore I have spent lots of time hunting on former Indian land riverbanks, beaches, tree lines, wet stream beds, Dry stream beds

i'm sure they are out there, and I'm sure some are genuine, but I believe that those remaining are extremely rare. I don't know how possibly they can be found in clusters, and how it is that the same few people are in possesion of dozens of them.
To me this is an "emperors new clothes circumstance that I will never understand.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not as rare as you think
friend of mine just started to really get into it and is doing great - check out other you tube vids - lot of guys out there killing it
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4yLniERekWqAXh0NwOqaqw

I've never understood the arrowhead thing. There are many people that expertly and openly reproduce these things by hand, then age them in a tumbler or by other methods to order by the dozen.

I have found gold, silver, many relatively modern artifacts, some ancient artifacts and thousands of modern coins.
Never once in my life have I found or personally ever witnessed someone I know well to to have found an arrowhead.
Furthermore I have spent lots of time hunting on former Indian land riverbanks, beaches, tree lines, wet stream beds, Dry stream beds

i'm sure they are out there, and I'm sure some are genuine, but I believe that those remaining are extremely rare. I don't know how possibly they can be found in clusters, and how it is that the same few people are in possesion of dozens of them.
To me this is an "emperors new clothes circumstance that I will never understand.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To me this is an "emperors new clothes circumstance that I will never understand.[/QUOTE
'
I have found 13 in the past year all in a new 75'x75' vegetable I carved out of the forest.
my girlfriend has not found even one , she try's so hard to just find one but no luck so far.
maybe you're like her and just don't have the luck.

It is well documented that the Powhatan Indians were in my area and I know they were even in my veggie garden.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on finding the two. Always a good memory picking one up.

OP
OP
cowsaretrippy

cowsaretrippy

Oct 8, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

Don't worry El padron. From what I am told some people have told me .. " if you are meant to find them you will" Soo many things in this world exist undiscovered. I wouldn't doubt that you may have been hunting and/or detecting one day and completely overlooked a point or two that lay right in front of you because you simply weren't looking for it at the time.

Also I have been searching for YEARS and have only found 3 projectile points,( 2 of those 3 on two seperate fields of the same farm property nearing route to the river )

There's more out there. Keep looking

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've found a few within a few miles of my home, including an incredible spear point that I only saw perhaps less than a half inch sticking out of the ground. When I reached for it, it just kept coming out of the ground. I have a friend who is retired and spends a huge amount of his time hunting arrowheads in fields and creeks. He has an incredible collection, but he also has a 5 gallon bucket of broken ones he has found.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are out there by the millions. Field grade points are very common. Its entirely possible to find hundreds a day under the right circumstances.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discrimination Dave is correct. Archaic stemmed points. Being broken, not much value, you can check Ebay for similar pieces.

I found a bunch of Indian flakes yesterday, and last Wednesday another arrowhead. The native American population wasn't exactly in the tens of millions, and they liked the same land features to live on we do. Therefore, a lot of their territory is now under cities, like Manhattan.

I have researched and am now exploring a couple of the 40 Iroquois villages along the Susquehanna River the Continental Army destroyed in 1779.

The stuff is out there. You have to find a place where they lived and not simply visited. There are millions more points still in the ground.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They are plentiful and millions to be found and have been found. After all the stone age lasted a lot longer then this metal age. You might try some research and go with someone that knows what they are doing. It is fun to reach back sometimes over 12,000 years in time and find the remains of man made materials.Guy in the artifact section is finding over a 100 a day in Texas.

JKicker

Jul 10, 2017
Tullahoma, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Minelab X Terra 705
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I heard an estimate (this could be disputed but there is some truth to it) one time that Hernando de Soto was responsible for the deaths of more than a million native americans, primarily from the diseases his crew carried that the native american people had no antibodies in their immune system to ward off. Say this happened over a 10 year period. 1 million people occupying north america for thousands and thousands of years. There are millions more artifacts still in the ground to be discovered yet. People will still be finding them 100's of years from now.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
They are plentiful and millions to be found and have been found. After all the stone age lasted a lot longer then this metal age. You might try some research and go with someone that knows what they are doing. It is fun to reach back sometimes over 12,000 years in time and find the remains of man made materials.Guy in the artifact section is finding over a 100 a day in Texas.

Well at hundred a day there is no doubt they know what they are doing.
Off course its fun. That is enough volume to satisfy the average entrepreneurial spirit.

Still you would think some of these indians might have wanted their arrows back.

Its real easy to make these things, I don't make them, but I've seen craftsman make them in front of me with the end result being perfect. Absolutely perfect. Absolutely beautiful and perfect. (sound like Trump Huh?
They smile when you politely ask them incorporate the aging and flaws.
They like that because it costs the equivalent of additional buck and brings the total to about 5 dollars, but for 4 minutes work that's pretty good.

So yeah, I too think that the guys that find a hundred at a time are really really good at what they DO, and they really KNOW what they are doing.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off course its fun. That is enough volume to satisfy the average entrepreneurial spirit.

Still you would think some of these indians might have wanted their arrows back.

Its real easy to make these things, I don't make them, but I've seen craftsman make them in front of me with the end result being perfect. Absolutely perfect. Absolutely beautiful and perfect. (sound like Trump Huh?
They like that because it costs the equivalent of additional buck and brings the total to about 5 dollars, but for 4 minutes work that's pretty good.

So yeah, I too think that the guys that find a hundred at a time are really really good at what they DO, and they really KNOW what they are doing.

Some of the more expensive types people send in for authentication (C.O.A). We have a knappers forum here and some really good artist. To be honest it takes a long time to perfect the technique to any degree of accuracy. There is much to know about lithic technology and is a science all of its own. Look for the chert(flint) flakes when out in fields and look for worked edges and you may come across a site.
Good luck hope you find some. I have found hundreds.Figure every major city sits on a native american site and look for old water sources.

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I can feel your skepticism in your words but I can attest they are real and out there. And there must still be a bunch of them.
I have personally stumbled across 3 or 4 in my life when I wasn't even hunting for anything. One was along the drip line of the roof of my childhood house, another in a garden, etc.
I remember vividly 35 or more years ago being dragged out to hot, dusty fields on Saturday mornings by my folks and grandmother in search of arrowheads. And they found plenty that my parents still have packed away somewhere. And there were no flintknappers in my family, so I know they were the real deal, found sticking up out of plowed fields.
There are many people I know from my area who have collected many fine specimens.
Lots of important native sites are known across the country. And I am sure there are tons of sites not known. I know friends around my county who have native burial plots and mounds on their properties.
The thing is... they were here for thousands of years. That's a lot of bird points and spears.
I personally witnessed my brother pick up almost identical arrowheads two weekends in a row at the exact same spot at the base of a hill where water ran off... and we weren't even hunting for arrowheads!
I live 20 miles from an area that has recently been recognized as a gathering site in a river bottom for the remnants of 22 Native American nations in the 1700s. And it is known to have been a sacred area to them for much longer.
I understand that a person can learn to fake them and make them so convincingly realistically ancient looking that it must certainly make it hard to value a genuine article, but that doesn't mean the genuine article doesn't exist by the bucketload.
Maybe you just have never been anywhere near an area where Native Americans settled, hunted, or hung out in?

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of the more expensive types people send in for authentication (C.O.A). We have a knappers forum here and some really good artist. To be honest it takes a long time to perfect the technique to any degree of accuracy. There is much to know about lithic technology and is a science all of its own. Look for the chert(flint) flakes when out in fields and look for worked edges and you may come across a site.
Good luck hope you find some. I have found hundreds.Figure every major city sits on a native american site and look for old water sources.

Alright, Thank you, I'll stop.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, I've never liked the COA's. Certificates of Authenticity. A couple of the people have very bad reputations, you send them something they'll give you a COA its a money making thing for them. I apparently won't name them here. And there are a lot of know it alls out there who don't know squat. So, I prefer to try to find my own, and sometimes (rarely) I'll buy something, if I like it, I buy it. But I don't buy the pricey stuff. I probably have 8 purchased items over the years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread