$2 bills

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there is plenty of information on here and other sites about which $2 bills have value above $2, so I won't raise that topic again. What I am curious about is whether any folks on here ask their banks for $2 bills and, if so, whether they take all the bills the banks have on hand (like one would do with halves and other coins) or whether folks are more selective. I also welcome views on how likely I am to find anything of decent value (like red seal notes) in the $2 bills.

A branch I deal with said they always have a lot of $2 bills on hand, whereas they only rarely have halves and Ikes. Should I take their $2 bills or is it a long shot that they will produce anything (like asking a bank for all the quarters they have on hand)?

Upvote 0

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I were you, I would only take them if I could sell them fast and it not have it effect my coin bankroll.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last time i was at the bank i asked and the teller pulled 2 out the trash can

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usally ask the teller if the have any old bill. Then once in a while they give me silver cerificates red seal 2 and 5.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Worst thing that could happen is you leave with your money in a different form. It still spends.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much risk, you can buy a box of halves with 250 $2 bills. They might not like it though.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked for some $2 bills the other day. Teller pulls out a crisp stack of them that looked like they were practically fresh off the printing press. I took 'em and saved a few then traded the rest for coin. The reactions you get when you spend them are pretty funny sometimes.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The reactions you get when you spend them are pretty funny sometimes.

Yep. I went to a Chick-fil-a a month ago, and my total was 16.90. I had a $15 gift card and gave the cashier a $2. She offered TO PAY THE DIFFERENCE of $1.90 so I wouldn't have to break my super rare $2 bill. :laughing7: I opened my wallet and showed her my other 40 $2s and told her I would be okay.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like there's some fun/novelty value to getting $2 bills, but is not much of a serious CRH activity.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep. Gotten nice red seals from them. They save any "weird old stuff" that comes in.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't really ask for $2 bills but I sometimes get offered them when I ask for old coins. I usually don't buy them but I do when I can tell that the teller just wants to get rid of them. Think of it as doing them a favor and planting a seed of good vibes. I've never found anything rare or old. Usually a bunch of common 1976 and 2003 series.

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I order wrapped $200 bundles at times from my local branch. I ask for new, they ask for new but I get used but have found several crisp sequential number bills, a red seal or two and the rest I usually spend. And it is fun watching the reaction of especially younger people at stores, etc who have never seen a $2 bill and don't know they are legal tender. Once at the grocery store the girl asked a manager where to put it after she asked if it was real. Got a good laugh out of that one. I used a couple hundred to go to movies, grocery shopping, pay for parking, etc, and it's lots of fun to do it.

Asking the tellers is good too because if they get some good new ones from someone they should happily sell them to you. Never know what you will get.

My next order will be for I hope a stack of $1000 absolutely mint new. At least I am going to ask for them and the vault teller is going to ask for them and we shall see what happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread