Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I'll let you know

I am learning on mine now

even though it's a whites it's like a minelab :wink: you have to know the tones :tongue3:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher makes one you can spread apart, i think like 25 feet.Gemini3.Garret makes the easy est one too use.I call it the one botton wounder.but it won't discriminate.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good morning Discriminate ? Why would you wish that in a two box detector ? Discovery for example does have ground canceling ability, but they are designed for caches, objects larger than an orange at the surface on down to 30 ft for things similar to a refrigerator. If you are a cache hunter, you dig up ALL reactions. However, many can be set to ferrous nonferrous indications..

Don Jose de La Mancha

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every single should be doug,But do we!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hey TC!

Sounds like you've been doing research!

My personal experience w a 2 box was long ago, and they're probably better, now.

I used a fisher that had it's own horizontal carry - rod that clicked together from 3 or 4 pieces inside it's case to make a 3ft stretch.

I'm not real sure what's actually in production these days... the Fisher Gemini, Whites tm800 & 808, Garrett has the Grand Master Hunter attachments and Discovery has the TM900.
(Treasure Hound for garrett gti 2500 = $200)
(TM-808=$400)

They're all vhf discriminators.

And there's also whopper sized coils for minelabs and some PI units.

Then you get into the mega loops slung from a shoulder harness!

I think possibly smallest you can find is silver dollar at 3ft or soda can at 4ft.
Old horseshoes and farm implement pieces would cause lots of grief.

Somewhere around here there's a news clipping/story of a homeowner in Monrovia, CA who hired laborers to dig a 60ft hole in his front yard when his 2 box went 'beep' just a few feet from his front porch. City code enforcement came by and red-tagged his property for a code violation.
They demanded he cease and desist, and bring in a soils engineer to supervise re-compaction of his lot as the excavation was back-filled!

Metal detecting is fun!

Good luck!
rmptr

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, now you know why I use and recommend the Discovery .

Incidentally, it WILL pick up an 8 Reales coin to at least a few inches, with the front coil almost on the surface. An 8 Reales is about 1 1/2 " in diameter with 31 grams of Ag.

Don Jose de La Mancha

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, GoodGuy's link above has pretty good info. I have a 1 meter P.I. unit, Maxi Pluse 5000 and a Garrett Cx with the old Treasure Hound two box attchment. I don't use ropes to hold the pvc 1 meter frame, I have added upright pvc stick handles.
The 2 box is tuff to use in heavy brush, ha! But the 1 meter, (40 inch sq frame) is impossible to use in heavy brush, you have to have a crew to hack the area clear.

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hello Texan,

I don't have one for rent but you can rent one from a local equipment rental business in about any major city in your area, They usually rent out by the hour or day.

I've been using them for about 18 years, Have owned several types and currently have two of them (TM-800 & TF-900).

They will penetrate low levels of water, Of course we're talking about a couple of inches of water because the detector is actually ground balancing both the ground and water. You just need to ground balance over the area you intend to detect, And reground balance when you exit the bogs, marsh etc.

With experience you can detect small items, Not the smaller size items your normal detector can pickup but with allot of experience a two-box can detect small items. The TF-900 or TM-800 are my two main types of two-box detectors, Others are not the same.

I'll attach a few pics, The two-box is not for everyone and those that buy them usually end up selling them within a year.

Good luck,

Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• 151.jpg
    151.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 153.jpg
    153.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 152.jpg
    152.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 207

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
WoW!

You must have got a good signal there Paul!

What did you dig up with the excavator? You didn't say....

Great to have tools like that!

Best
rmptr

BTW, How would you compare the TM-800 and the TF-900 machines?

:thumbsup:

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hello rmptr,

Is this Bob from Southern California? Forgive me if I can't recognize your forum name, So many people on the forums these days it's hard to recognize an old forum comrade.

The deal with this dig is a Ca. friend (Tom Tanner) called me and asked if i would help in the recovery of the remains from a war plane that crashed in the early 1940's, Most of the wreckage was recovered back then but recently some work was being done in this particular area and they found a finger with a mans gold ring on it and other wreckage from the plane.

I didn't find much due to most of the wreckage was recovered back in early 1940's, But I did find part of the canopy with the pilots flight jacket infused in the twisted canopy and a piece of the radio and other pieces from the airplane. Another friend (Mark) that was there was picking up live ammo from the piles of dirt that came from the wreckage.

Both pilot and gunner died, I'll attach a pic of the same type of plane that crashed that day back in the 1940's.

Both the TM-800 and TF-900 are the same machine, Discovery used to make the TM-800 for Whites and something happened between the two so Discovery pulled out and started marketing the TM-800 under TF-900.

Then, Whites came out with a model of there own (TM-808). However, The Whites new model is not as good as the TF-900/TM-800. The TM-808 only has one SAT speed while the TM-800/TF-900 has two SAT speeds.

And the TM-800/TF-900 have tracing capabilities while the TM-808 does not, I have owned many two-box detectors and the only two I use are the TM-800 or the TF-900.

God bless,

Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• 154.jpg
    154.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 198
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have it Calif, I agree with you completely. I also have a 3-D 501, which was the forerunner, looks exactly the same. In the 3-D 501 you had to balance the trans and receiver units yourself, but that also allows you to distinguish between ferrous and non ferrous metals. This is now done at the factory but it is less sensitive and cannot be adjusted to discriminate .

That is an SBD, navy dive bomber. It must have been on a dive training mission and the pilot just blacked out from your description of the wreck and remains.

Attachments

• .jpg3-d.jpg
    .jpg3-d.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 202
  • .jpg3-d.jpg
    .jpg3-d.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 167

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread