Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not from Tx,
BUT I just got my Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus with the Treasure hound 2 box attachment. Just learning how to use it.. WithOUT the 2 box, I can locate a baseball size of Iron 2 feet deep, but the 2 box won't detect it... sometimes I get a little buzz from it but it would be totaly missed out in the real "field" searching!! To get that little buzz I have to hold it about 1 1/2 inches off the ground. Its made to hold about at your knees. ANY OTHER Treasure Hound users out there, how does yours work? any tips?, should mine locate that size at 2 feet?

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
My Geminis, I & II..
Have detected a cot size bed spring at 12" !
The wetter the area, the longer it has been there, the better the target will be !
Rust !...Forms & Spreads out from the target and greatly increases the targets size/signature!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI and just what was the reason that you purchased the two box combination? To look for deep caches as well as smaller ones nearer the surface.. You instructions will tell you that the twin box attachment is not for looking for objects smaller than a 1# coffe can, i.e. coins, but for a say a chest at 8 10 + ft, it fills the bill nicely. You have an excellent, well built, all around combination, almost equal to the Discovery 900 or the older White 800 series for deep seeking and very good smaller/shallower searching with the base machine.. It will deliver if you do your part. I use one.

Tropical Tramp

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Realde T. Yep, I know that, I got it for bigger items, but a baseball size item at 2 feet, thats not small, and not that deep, it found it laying on the ground before I buried it!!. They say it ignores the small stuff, YET IT FINDS a flattended, "on its end" soda can buried at 12 inches!! Ignores the small stuff....? I can find both of these items with my 8.5" coil.
Its a a new MD and I'm testing it and trying to determine if it works right, at this Time I don't think it does, with the 2 box attached it acts more as if it thinks the 8.5" coil is attached!!
I guess I shoulld test with a coffee can, I guess fill it with some nuts and bolts, about 4 feet deep and check that. Really! I wonder if it will find a Quart size jar of quarters at 3 or 4 feet if in a glass jar?

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
Just remember that a "freshly" buried target, of any metal, except for a couple "base" metals, be they, ferrous or non-ferrous, is NOT! a good indicator of depth! :(
As mentioned earlier, a target "grows" with age !
Just how large is a freshly buried, "soda ?" can's image, as compared to one that has been buried for a century or two!
And!
Yes!
Alum. targets do "grow" with age!

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
Oh!
I forgot to mention, filling the coffee can with coins, WILL NOT increase the target's
"Detectability"!
Your MD only sees the surface area directly under the "coil" ! :o
A buried stack of coins, a 1' high.....
Will not give you anywhere near the signal, that those same coins would, if they are spread out...
This is, The Difference between the surface areas!

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I talked with Garrett people today, and sent the unit back today. I DID bury a 34.5 oz metal Coffee can. (gallon size can) I did put nuts and bolts in it, because the unit is to find tunnels, and I didn't want it to think this was a little void or tunnel, I want it to find a can with something in it!! . The CX plus with its 2 box coil did NOT return any signal. It will faintly return a signal on a softball size of iron freshly buried at a mere 14 inches. And it will sing out a good beep on a crushed soda can at a mere 12 inches buried top upwards. So will a kids radio shack unit, BUT the CX 2 box is too IGNORE SMALL stuff. The 8.5 coil finds that can too..
I think THIS CX plus is not operating right, it won't do anything the 8.5 coil won't do. ITS as if it doesn't reconize the 2 box coil is attached and acts as if a 8.5 coil.

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma
Just curious, you were running the CX Plus in all-metal mode right? And you had it set up and adjusted?

I have an older CX II with the 2 box attachment and I can air detect my car at 10+ feet when it's adjusted correctly.

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Man I tried everything, I was trying it with them on the phone, (laying the phone down trying a suggestion) . I DO NOT Doubt that the CX whatever Model 2-box will find objects as advetized or that I desire to find, ITS JUST THAT I COULD NOT MAKE THAT ONE do it!!
TELL me how did you air test your CAR? Because I think I've read that or you told me that, I TRIED IT!!! If I hold the unit upright with both coils pointing towards the object, (not holding it as normal as in seacrhing theground) BUT Tilting it up so that both coils bottoms point towards the car, I GET A LOUD NOISE weather its pointing at the car, or towards and empty 100 acre field! AND IT WON"T quit then, ever by returning it to a normal seach position, without turning the units power sw OFF.
Did you ( I did not think of this then or tell garrett about the above air test) Did you by chance remove the MD unit from its mount, hold it level and just turn the coil bottoms toward the car?
I need to know how you did it, If you did it the same as I, then It may save me being frusted about what else to try on this treasure site i;m working on now, I may decide to just wait for a New (Another) unit to be sent back to me.

Shadowed_Blue

Greenie
Jun 21, 2006
SoCal
Hey Tex...

I have a Discovery 900 that I just bought and took out into the field once. It didn't do what I needed and I might consider selling it. It is basically brand new out of the box. What's your offer??

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
2-Box --- Beware!

2-Boxers can be tricky! An obvious problem is that they don't discriminate types of metal. So that signal you dig 5 feet down for may well be just a rusted out coffee can. Also, I haven't heard of any that can give you a depth read out either. You just dig and dig and dig until you uncover the target. Another problem is that since they're carried parallel to the ground, you are losing whatever amount of depth from your hand to the ground. For instance, I'm 6 feet tall and when I carry my 2-box it's 3 & 1/2 feet from the ground --- lost depth penetration. Now, you can of course carry it with a strap over your shoulder to bring it closer to the ground, but the key with mine is that it MUST be kept level or it will give off false signals. Try walking with something that weighs 8 pounds and is about 40 inches long and you'll see the strap problem! In addition, mine must be ground balanced at whatever level it's being used at, so that if you walk down an incline or up a hill you'll get more false signals.... For the record, I have a 2-B Mega Explorer made by Hayes Electronics. I've talked directly to the engineer out in Arizona for helpful hints and he's very helpful since he's been making them for 50 years. BOTTOM LINE: My advice to you is, be SURE you have a really solid treasure lead to follow before you go out and plunk down hundreds of dollars on a 2-Box. The problems you'll encounter if you don't have good leads (and don't know your machine) etc should be obvious from what I've said above....
HH
spyguy

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In general, do you think your 2 box would detect a quart size of gold coins at 5 to 6 feet depth? in a wooden box, maybe without any metal bands holding it together. Gallon size, at 6 feet, what about 3 feet?

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A gallon size of gold at 3 feet YES, but not at 6 feet. Only if it is in another metal container like copper or ferrous. Remember, half the depth penetration of regular metalic objects when dealing with GOLD. :-[

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to upgrade my TM-808 due to weak performance in comparison to the old unit TM-800 made by Discovery. I spoke with the Discovery factory, the one thing that I do not like about their TF-900 is that they omitted the Meter on top. All you have is sound to base your detection on. I explained to them how important it is to see the actual signal strenght on the meter as this is more sensitive than sound in terms of changes. They said that they may consider this and seems they may come out with a new model mid 2008.

antonio

May 21, 2006
philippines
Detector(s) used
dowsing brass rods, TM-8o8 metal detector
gflores71 said:
I am looking to upgrade my TM-808 due to weak performance in comparison to the old unit TM-800 made by Discovery. I spoke with the Discovery factory, the one thing that I do not like about their TF-900 is that they omitted the Meter on top. All you have is sound to base your detection on. I explained to them how important it is to see the actual signal strenght on the meter as this is more sensitive than sound in terms of changes. They said that they may consider this and seems they may come out with a new model mid 2008.
hi glores!
maybe you can share to me some tips on how to upgrade the TM-8o8 when you have your 8o8 done?
thankyou!

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying to modify the TM-808 but nothing yet, I will let you know if it's feasible

Tim Williams

Dec 24, 2005
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Arc-Geo Logger-TM-808-Garrett XL500-Deepstar
A 9" cutoff pipe casing was located 13' using the TM-808 and the Arc-Geo Logger. You can read the field test report on my site. Dan Woods number is in the back for anyone that wants to ask questions on the report. Targets have been recovered down to 13 ft and known targets logged up to 16 ft. Two box detectors are for larger targets, but can locate smaller targets. 2 targets were recovered, 1 was a 4" round iron ring and the other was a small old wrench in mineralized ground!

I would not be without one.

Tim

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
You asked if a two box could discriminate. Even if it would why would you want to? You use a two box to dig deep targets. Most would have a halo if they were steel or iron. why would you want to not hear rust? Run in all-metal mode and dig everything. siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions