2 boxes = unbelievable finds! With pics!

kickstart

Mar 7, 2007
Ga.
This week I had ordered a total of 10 boxes. Tuesday while roll hunting, I found 22 40%ers and 1-90%er. Wed. I got only 1 box instead of my usual 2. I found 1 BF, 2-90%ers and 20-40%ers. Pretty decent totals. I had decided that I would post my news and pics on a weekly basis.
Thurs. rolled around and the 4 boxes I had ordered did not come in. >:(
Friday rolled around and I was told by another source that my 2 boxes had not come in. >:( >:(
I had one more source that I had ordered 2 boxes from. I called and they said they had not received the coins. >:( >:( >:(
I was pissed!!! I counted my take for the week and put them in the
safe. Twenty minutes before 6 the last source called and said the coins were in!! My wife and I jumped in the car and hauled a** to
the bank and made it just in time.
When we got home we opened the 1st box and found 12-40%ers.
Not to shabby.
The 2nd box was unbelievable. When we opened it, we immediately
saw silver, a WL, and a BF. We then started noticing very shiny coins.When we looked thru the glass we saw several proof coins on the ends. We separated those rolls from the others and had 16 rolls
where the ends were silver or proof.
We ended up with 69....yes, 69 proof coins from 1 box. Along with
those we found 6 WLs, 3-'41,1-'42, 1-'44, 1-'45. Also 3 BFs, 1-'51
and 2 beautiful '62Ds that looked brand new. We also found 27-40%ers.

total of 108 keepers
proofs:
10-1971
1-1973
9-1974
2-Bicent.
14-1977
4-1978
9-1979
7-1980
11-1981
2-2002

I have a question. How should I store them? As you can tell from the pics, they are like new. I don't know if they will be worth much, but
I do want to store them correctly. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My wife and daughter are now officially hooked.

Attachments

• Treasures 112.jpg
    Treasures 112.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 465
  • Treasures 118.jpg
    Treasures 118.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 464
  • Treasures 119.jpg
    Treasures 119.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 472
  • Treasures 133.jpg
    Treasures 133.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 461
Upvote 0

oldred

Jan 21, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber
Great haul Kickstart!!! It looks like your area in Ga is starting to produce some nice fines. I personally store my proofs in a plastic coin tube with the screw on cap. I prefer this method over the 2X2 paper holders. Where did you say you lived in Ga. ;D

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
HOLY SHINOLA BATMAN!!!!

Someone broke into the coin collection lol.

Just mount them all in a frame, and BAM! Instant mirror!
;D

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
That has to be a proof record!!!
Unbelievable!!
Yep-
Someone cashed in the collection!

WTG, Kick!!!!!

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great box!!
That proof count is absolutly amazing!!

Congrats!

CR

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bonanza KS!!! Most excellent. The proof total is unheard of. They look to be in pretty darn good shape too! Kudos.

I am glad to see your boxes have turned around for you. That is why I always say......"keep plugging"......

Glad to see Mrs. KS in on the fun as well. Good things happen when women get involved....ha!

Good luck and the next ones & keep em coming......

BTW - Thanks for the nice pictures. Beautiful!!

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great haul. Lots of nice silver, and now you have to decide if the impaired proofs are really worth not have that $35 for hunting ;).

I still say you have broken into my box supply. And got all the really good boxes as well. :D. I didn't do anywhere close to that.

HH.

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
Nice score,I can't tell from the pics,but did any of the proofs that were on the end of the rolls survive with out the gouge lines made by the rolling machine?

And a question for any hunters in Georgia.Did any of you recently dump a bunch of proofs that you had been holding onto?

I would think it was a dumped collection of proofs from a true coin collector who possibly died except for the fact that so many of them are multiples of a single date,the only unique coin being the '73.

This leads me to believe that it was a CRHer who had them for a while thinking they would someday be worth something and then realized there is no dealers who buy circulated proofs or a dealer himself who bought a large collection and culled out the ones HE couldn't sell.

Either way if you really like proofs,than you just increased your collection in a big way!

By the way if you take them to a dealer to see "what their worth" or to sell them,PLEASE do not tell him how you got them(make up something if you have to) or just say you were given them or something 8)

The last thing you want to do is turn a dealer onto CRH if he doesn't know about it already ;).

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
schramm said:
Nice score,I can't tell from the pics,but did any of the proofs that were on the end of the rolls survive with out the gouge lines made by the rolling machine?

And a question for any hunters in Georgia.Did any of you recently dump a bunch of proofs that you had been holding onto?

I would think it was a dumped collection of proofs from a true coin collector who possibly died except for the fact that so many of them are multiples of a single date,the only unique coin being the '73.

This leads me to believe that it was a CRHer who had them for a while thinking they would someday be worth something and then realized there is no dealers who buy circulated proofs or a dealer himself who bought a large collection and culled out the ones HE couldn't sell.

Either way if you really like proofs,than you just increased your collection in a big way!

By the way if you take them to a dealer to see "what their worth" or to sell them,PLEASE do not tell him how you got them(make up something if you have to) or just say you were given them or something 8)

The last thing you want to do is turn a dealer onto CRH if he doesn't know about it already ;).

Good insight and advice!!!

OP
OP
K

kickstart

Mar 7, 2007
Ga.
Except for 2 coins no machine lines. 3 or 4 have some toning
but the rest look to be unc. to me, but I'm not an expert so
I couldn't say. I'm gonna hang on to 'em even though there
isn't much of a market for 'em. I have even kept some coins
that had no silver,errors or proofs. Just because they were flawless
beautiful coins.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I don't talk about our hobby
to anyone. Less is defintely more.

I can understand why a collector would dump his stash of proofs.
But considering the number of WLs and BFs from last week and
this week as well as all the silver mixed in. I wonder if someone's
collection was stolen or they cashed in an inheritance.
Like LJ,s sig says "I love the history and the mystery".

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$CUERVOJ said:
Hi. I am new to this sight. This sight is so awesome. What do you mean by ordering a box? ???

Welcome aboard $C. Glad you joined in.

You can get most any denomination from the banks. Usually the half dollars they have to order because they are not used much and banks do not keep a large supply in the vault unless customers turn them in. So alot of us order these boxes which is 1000 half dollars or $500 worth. It usually takes about a week to come in depending on what day a particular bank orders them.

Oh, very important $C.....if you start hunting silver, you must remember 5% goes to the LJ silver fund foundation...... ;)

$CUERVOJ

Jul 29, 2007
TEXAS
Sounds easy enough. I am sure they are hard to come by but patience should get me through LOL. th LJ foundation huh? 5%. sounds reasonable LOL. ;)

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$CUERVOJ said:
Sounds easy enough. I am sure they are hard to come by but patience should get me through LOL. th LJ foundation huh? 5%. sounds reasonable LOL. ;)

Keep us posted on your results....with pictures if possible. Good luck to you.

BTW - Where are you from?

$CUERVOJ

Jul 29, 2007
TEXAS
I will definatly do that. I am deployed at the moment and sometimes I get lucky enough to use the computer. I poked around this site and started to love the post and pics. I have my eye on an ace 250 I saw on ebay. I am trying to learn as much as I can before I head back to Texas. September should still yield good enough weather to test my new MD out. See I learned a new acronym LOL. Thanks again, I look forward to learning more and sharing my experiences with everyone. ;D

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$CUERVOJ said:
I will definatly do that. I am deployed at the moment and sometimes I get lucky enough to use the computer. I poked around this site and started to love the post and pics. I have my eye on an ace 250 I saw on ebay. I am trying to learn as much as I can before I head back to Texas. September should still yield good enough weather to test my new MD out. See I learned a new acronym LOL. Thanks again, I look forward to learning more and sharing my experiences with everyone. ;D

We sure appreciate your services this country!! I agree, September should be perfect weather for MD'ing. I hear the Ace 250 is a very good one.

Looking forward to your post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread