Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I turned up plenty of relics in this field

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/528218-1800-s-relics-few-mysteries.html

but not a single coin which I thought was odd so despite the two inches of snow I went back today. I definitely have the blanket of snow to thank for the ground not being frozen and if you accidentally miss your pocket and drop a relic on the ground (happened twice) it's super easy to find it so bonuses all around!

DSC08866.JPG DSC08867.JPG DSC08868.JPG DSC08871.JPG

This is my fourth 2 cent piece in this area and the third different site. I know these are usually pretty uncommon so maybe one of the local businesses back in the day had a bunch of them. At any rate it's a welcome find and ended the coin drought. The buttons also started coming in and the piece next to the thimble is a super thick dome of brass, but I'm not sure what it's from.

The thimble I'm not 100% on. It came out of the ground shiny and this site has had almost zero modern contamination, but on the other hand it's super light and the shade of silver is just slightly off from what I'm used to with aged silver vs. aluminum. Any thoughts out there?

DSC08870.JPG DSC08877.JPG

Tons of spoon fragments and the second photo shows the handle of one that has some incredibly intricate floral designs. I wish I could find a makers mark on it, but sadly no. And on a final note, two plow blades in one day is a personal best :laughing7: I sure hope the ground stays thawed out there!

Upvote 18

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you look on the inside of the thimble? Mine was stamped silver there.

Nice finds!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the productive relic hunt! :occasion14: The eating utensils are very ornate, great finds!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you look on the inside of the thimble? Mine was stamped silver there.

A hallmark would be fantastic, but no such luck. I did a bit of poking around online and it seems that early silver thimbles made by local silversmiths (i.e. not imported and prior to the 1880's) would often be unmarked. Still, I wish it had a makers mark so I could track down where it was made. This site was owned by an important local politician in the 1850's so it would be great it I could show he brought it back from NYC or even that it was made locally.

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!! What part of NY you from? I'm in Schoharie Co. and our ground is not too frozen yet, either... hope to get out this week!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from Troy, but I go all over the place to dig. It looks like we have three of four more days before the winter catches up with us so we'll have to make the most of it! PM me any time, this is a great part of NY to metal detect!

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from Troy, but I go all over the place to dig. It looks like we have three of four more days before the winter catches up with us so we'll have to make the most of it! PM me any time, this is a great part of NY to metal detect!

Will do... we're practically neighbors!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread