2 Coins found at Sebastian beach Fl. for comparison.

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
North East Alabama, Section
Detector(s) used
Own: Fisher F75 LTD, Whites Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta 4000, Whites Eagle Sl, Garrett GTA 1000, Whites PI underwater, Whites Surf Master, Garrett Master Hunter w/ 2 box.
I started detecting in th
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 80's I was beach hunting after midnight on a full moon at Sebastian beach in Ft. Pierce Fl, and found these 2 real coins on 2 different trips. They have been authenticated. One is about the thickness of a penny the other about as a dime. They are not worn evenly, one side is thicker than the other. They came out of the beach wet sand like they look. They are uncleaned. The larger one is 1.7gr and the smaller thicker one is 2.5gr.

Attachments

• c3.JPG
    c3.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 2,501

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds larrylwill,

They are both 1 reales, one on the left is Mexico Mint and the one on the right is minted in Potosi (Peru) Dated 1675.
Sebastian Beach in Ft. Pierce? thats a new to me. Did you mean you found these from each one of these areas.
Why did you stop with those 2...you should have kept on hunting.

Thanks 4 the post,

Trez

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Own: Fisher F75 LTD, Whites Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta 4000, Whites Eagle Sl, Garrett GTA 1000, Whites PI underwater, Whites Surf Master, Garrett Master Hunter w/ 2 box.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you are right I didn't make myself clear. I meant to say Sebastian beach near Ft. Pierce Fl, and found these 2, real coins. Not 2 real. They are indeed 1 real's. I didn't know the mint, thanks for the info. Was it common that the 1715 fleet had both Mexican and Peru minted coins?

Both were found about a mile south of the inlet, on 2 different trips. The first night my friend who used a hearing aid had his detector crap out. Since Sebastian was about 150 miles from home I made him an agreement that after I dug anything I would loan him my detector and if he dug a target I got it back for a target. Well I dug one and gave him the detector and right next to my find 1 ft away he found another. Imagine 2 grown men at 2am jumping, hollering and hugging on the beach looking at 2 tiny silver coins. We stayed untrill dawn or later but that was it for the night. On another trip I found the 2nd one. We made about a dozen trips there usually on Friday night and never caught a storm. I found a copper coin at the colored beach wreck site but that was it after maybe 20 trips. Shortly after I moved to Alabama.

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you know a lot about Spanish coins.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's I used to repair detectors for some of the pro's in South Florida. Most were using a PI out of England.
I went to a small show, some of them gave to raise some money and sell off some of their finds in the keys. I bought this one for about $20.00 not too great but nice for $20.00 which at the time was a lot of money to me. I know Weller was there but I don't remember who else. What can you tell me about it if anything ?
thanks
Larry

Attachments

• sc.jpg
    sc.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 2,320

carolus2

Aug 29, 2007
One of the coins looks like a 1675 Potosi une Real , Erqueta "E", we found many of them in La Consolacion wreck of the coast of Ecuador, nice coins.

To see our coins goto www.robcar.net

Carolus2

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Treasure beaches in the late 70's/ early 80's! It was considered to be in the middle of nowhere... Real estate For Sale signs stuck in the sand...Silver cobs... Whites Coinmasters...Brings back memories. Those were the days... Gone with the wind...Nice finds.8) :icon_pirat: :thumbsup:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
plehbah said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Treasure beaches in the late 70's/ early 80's! It was considered to be in the middle of nowhere... Real estate For Sale signs stuck in the sand...Silver cobs... Whites Coinmasters...Brings back memories. Those were the days... Gone with the wind...Nice finds.8) :icon_pirat: :thumbsup:

I just had to comment on how wonderful this sounds. I was not even there, and I miss it too.

Oh well, we may no longer have such idyllic hunting places to spend part of our lives, but thank God we do have an apathetic populace, overpopulation, mass marketing, and juggalos!
I didnt even realize the full potential of those beaches in those days before computers. It was a long drive and I thought Mel Fisher found it all. :-[ How naive I was. I wish I had spent more time there.

Attachments

• spanish cob found.jpg
    spanish cob found.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 881

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread