2 Dollar Bills

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Red seals, star notes, or occasionally absolutely perfectly crisp notes from certain districts can be worth a premium.

OP
OP
toorude89

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was picking up halves and grabbed them. There. Happy? Thought someone on here might know something.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
toorude,
As a general rule, the Series of 1995 is a good one as are bills from the Series of 1963 and older. Again, as a general rule, bills not in those two categories might be considered 'common'.
Don.......

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been collecting 2$ bills for several years now. The first thing you need to do is go to your local hobby shop and find a currency book. Do not buy this book, the one I found was priced at like 24$. Instead flip to the section with the 2 Dollar bills and take a few pics with your phone. This will show you which districts are more common than others.

There are two major things you need to look for. Number one is red seals. All I can say to that is good luck. I have probably been through $50,000 in 2 dollar bills over the years and have never found one. Have had tellers tell me stories and even had two show me some they had collected but have not run across one yet. Next thing you need to look for is star notes. No matter what the condition this will fetch some sort of premium.

Obviously condition is everything in bills, a simple tear or pin mark can completley devalue a bill, so any crisp, clean, unfolded bill you come across you might want to hold onto.

A couple extra things you may want to look for are misaligned bills and bill series. The misaligned bills are rare and are only worth a premium if ink is off the paper. The bill series are run across fairly commonly and are suppose to fetch a premium but I have had little luck with them. Coin shops wont touch them and they sit on Ebay for a long time.

Hope this information helps and good luck with your searches:hello:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider $2 bills to be isotopically heavy $1 bills. These labeled bills can be used to trace where your money goes

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got about 300 1928 2 dollar bills your right about coinshops unless they are 500 or 1000 bills they don't want them. If you ever go to coin show some dealers have 1000s of 2 dollar bills so there is really no rareity

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Blackbeard,
With that many '28- $2s, you have a valuable collection, especially, if any of your '28 bills are 'star' bills which can range from about $70 in VF-20 condition all the way up into the thousands, depending on the Series letter.
Don.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread