2 Draped Bust coins--1 Authentic H.C + 1 Counterfeit Draped Bust Something

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
The 3 Datectateers got out to a site we began last week where I found a nice draped bust 1804 half cent. This week we decided to go back and hit it some more. Up and down we went . To and fro I go when a soft signal from my xl-pro told me that something was 7 or 8 inches under the coil. My new vibra probe was telling me that metal was just at the bottom of my 8 inch hole. Another Draped bust half cent. 1807 it is. I could tell it was going to be one of those days. Kirk was spouting out "button". "OH YEAH." Kyle was sweeping away 30 ft. from me. 10 minutes later another week 8 inch signal in the dry,parched dirt revealed a nice large shankless Dandy button with cool punched designs. "Awesome" Zeus is zinging lightning bolts now baby. Half an hour after that 7 inches of diggin doit and low and behold a nice silver Tomback button. "You better believe I was humming and skipping along to the rythym of my threshold.After conversing more with the landowner I went back to my sweet spot. It wasn't long and I got a signal about 5 or 6 inches deep. This folks is where it got cornfusing for me. It registered low for this type of coin. Not only that but it is made out of cheap,crumbly metal that had not a hint of the usual Coppa green. About an 8th of an inch thick. But a distinct Draped bust 1798 is on it. This coin is definitely counterfeit but you would think it not worth an early Americans time and effort to counterfeit a Draped Bust Large Cent. The 3 of us were knocking our collective heads together when the one and only Zoyboy said it is probably a counterfeit Draped bust Half Dollar. Could it be folks. This coin has some of its original size missing since it crumbled away for over 200 years. I cant see anything on the back. Nor do I see stars that would be on the front of a half dollar but like I said quite a bit of it is missing. You can't even see the word "Liberty". It is invariably a great find nonetheless and I am ecstatic with my days total. I also found an old pocketwatch and 1700's spoon handle. Enjoy everyone and thanks for reading this post.
Chris
PIC00007-2.jpg

PIC00010.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 2 Draped Bust coins--1 Authentic H.C + 1 Counterfeit Draped Bust Quarter

Yeah. The back offers no help. The thickness of it is not a consideration of which coin denomination it is--since pewter "bloats" underground.

Any luck with the date?

-Buck

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

BuckleBoy said:
Yeah. The back offers no help. The thickness of it is not a consideration of which coin denomination it is--since pewter "bloats" underground.

Any luck with the date?

-Buck
I might have rubbed it too much but as you can see on the first pic the second numeral has a flat spot on the top plus there was no 1800 or 1808 quarter or half dollar. Not that it would affect the counterfeits outcome definitely.
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Buckles....Check this out and tell me that this isn't a 1798.
PIC00022.jpg

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Zeus, I'm seeing 1798, but could be 1800 or 1808 too...

Colonial Silver Zeus said:
I might have rubbed it too much but as you can see on the first pic the second numeral has a flat spot on the top plus there was no 1800 or 1808 quarter or half dollar. Not that it would affect the counterfeits outcome definitely.
Chris

Well, I think it would affect the counterfeits outcome. You see, you needed a genuine coin to make a pewter copy. And since both lead and pewter examples of early coppers are known, I'd say that's what you've got there. Since there were no Draped Bust Quarters or halves in 1798, 1800, or 1808, it is almost certainly a counterfeit LC. And it is an Excellent find.

Buckles.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's possible it could have been plated to explain how it could be passed off as copper.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Iron Patch said:
It's possible it could have been plated to explain how it could be passed off as copper.

Iron Patch,

Stick to your iron patches! :tongue3: :D :D :D ;D You may be right, flip flop wearing Canadian detectorist. :D

You must keep searching for that 1776 wilver dollar! :icon_sunny:

Kirk

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Chris, you have been making some amazing finds!! Your nephews must be real proud of your skills!!! :thumbsup:

You always seem to come through with a good relic or coin find. You have a good mix there!

Congrats!! :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Golly gee willikers (G.D.) those are some awesome finds. I also really like the fertilizer pin.
NJ Marty

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Colonial KirkPA said:
Iron Patch said:

Iron Patch,

Stick to your iron patches! :tongue3: :D :D :D ;D You may be right, flip flop wearing Canadian detectorist. :D

You must keep searching for that 1776 wilver dollar! :icon_sunny:

Kirk

What he said. :D :D :D

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Does that coin read as pewter on the machine?The reason i ask is it looks like it has a different metal in the center ,then on the top and bottom....It may have the real coin inside, or may not :D.I know a lady who was very lucky and found a coin kinda like yours ,but it was a 1820s 5 dollar gold like that,it had cast pewter on the outsides but in the middle was the real gold coin used to make the front and back for the fake ,then they would remove the pewter cast and stick the front and back pieces together .....Strange but true ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RELICDUDE07 said:
Does that coin read as pewter on the machine?The reason i ask is it looks like it has a different metal in the center ,then on the top and bottom....It may have the real coin inside, or may not :D.I know a lady who was very lucky and found a coin kinda like yours ,but it was a 1820s 5 dollar gold like that,it had cast pewter on the outsides but in the middle was the real gold coin used to make the front and back for the fake ,then they would remove the pewter cast and stick the front and back pieces together .....Strange but true ;D

I think the "3 Datectateers" should take turns sucking on it and maybe at the end of the day when all the pewter is gone they'll have a little silver. :D Caution... if it's lead suck it the rest of the week. :D :D :D

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Iron Patch said:
RELICDUDE07 said:

I think the "3 Datectateers" should take turns sucking on it and maybe at the end of the day when all the pewter is gone they'll have a little silver. :D Caution... if it's lead suck it the rest of the week. :D :D :D
I'll mail it to you iron patch and you can do it seeing how it is a great idea and great ideas should be followed through by great idealists. :wink: ;D :D :D :D

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Captn_SE said:
Chris, you have been making some amazing finds!! Your nephews must be real proud of your skills!!! :thumbsup:

You always seem to come through with a good relic or coin find. You have a good mix there!

Congrats!! :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks Dan. I don't think the right word would be PROUD. I think the correct word starts with the letter J and ends in the letter S. With a whole pile of vowels and 1 more consonant. OOOOF ;D :wink:

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Ironpatch you owe me a cup of coffee :tongue3: I was laughing so hard i fell out of my chair.. :D :D Goodluck guys ,what ever that is :icon_scratch: :D

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Iron Patch,

You definitely are a wisecrack. :D IP, I am a flip-flop wearing dude now because of you. You know, real men have rough toenails and a hairy big toe. :D "We ain't no pretty boys." :D

Zeus, you gonna wear flip-flops, too? :D

Kirk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread