jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Been a slow winter but decided to put in some real effort to buy something good this morning. Just got my car fixed so I was all ready to roll at around 6am. Found 2 estate sales within 30 minutes of me. Showed up to the first and it was family run and they were running late with a line already formed 15 mins before entry. Sale itself was underwhelming. Way more clothes than I prefer to see. Grabbed a handful of NES games, a basket of jewelry (ended up putting most of it back), and a UPS battery backup. After talking the woman down from $5 each on the games, I finally grabbed the entire lot for $5. Headed to the next sale in one of those endless 55 up communities. Another family run sale and it looked like it had not been hit very hard yet and everything was pre-priced. Strolled around and saw a bunch of women's clothes, huge furniture, and nick nacks. Wandered into a closet and there in the corner was a briefcase style box - unpriced. ALMOST walked right by it but something told me to pick it up and give it a shake. It rattled. I opened it and was met with a mountain of jewelry. I closed it and brought it to the "cashier". They did not even know it was there and almost didnt sell it to me. I finally said, how much for the whole box? $20... SOLD! Headed home very excited.

Got home and this is what I got:

-Lots of junk costume jewelry to add to my ever growing pile
-Small pile of sterling and gold filled jewelry, much of it is broken or damaged -also a bunch of cheap watches
-Pile of assorted K gold, mostly chains, over 12 grams!
-4 NES games and 1 Atari 5200 game, common titles
-APC UPS battery backup, does not seem to work so it will be scrapped

Not a bad day for $25 and a great morning out doing what I love!

Attachments

• IMG_1602.JPG
    IMG_1602.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1604.JPG
    IMG_1604.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 96

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't tell them there was jewelry in the box when buying it?

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You didn't tell them there was jewelry in the box when buying it?

They opened it, removed 1 item, and then hemmed and hawed about what to do with it. That's when I said "how much do you want for the box and all contents"? I even spotted a personal memento in the box, handed it to them, and told them they should keep it.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"APC UPS battery backup, does not seem to work so it will be scrapped"

UPS's have a sealed lead acid battery. They are usually shipped with the battery connector unplugged
You might want to verify the positive connector is plugged in before you junk it

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wished you lived down here. I have a large box of vintage video game crap that I would sell for pennies on the dollar just because I don't want to deal with it.

Good score on the gold! Another weekend project for me so no sales. I'm jonesing already!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score! especially being able to get them to sell all of it without going through it first,gotta love them precious metal scores! Goodluck!........Scott.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I wished you lived down here. I have a large box of vintage video game crap that I would sell for pennies on the dollar just because I don't want to deal with it.

Good score on the gold! Another weekend project for me so no sales. I'm jonesing already!

If you look on ebay (which I am sure you have) you will see that much of the vintage video game stuff is cheap. Some of it is nearly worthless.

For me, I am speculating that this is the time to buy and hold this stuff. I dont have a lot of room dedicated to storing this stuff but I am picking it up anywhere I can find it cheap with the hopes that some day it will really take off.

I guess what I am saying is, if you have the space, maybe considering hanging on to it?

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw some world championship nintendo game that sold for over 99,000.00 for some reason, the label on it was even junked off and unreadable lol. Even opened up to see the board inside i can't see anything special about it /shrug. It was on one of the ebay stories.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Some vintage games go for biggggg bucks. Important to understand that just like anything else, most are common and worth very little. The $99k games are the exception.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even just the instruction booklets on some of the games get a good price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread