2 Firsts in one day!

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I bought my first MD a couple of months ago. I chose a MXT. Love It! My first day out I found a penny. I was still excited. For the next couple of weeks I stayed around the backyard and continued to find more pennies. The total to date is 442. I found a few clad too not to mention all the trash. It was all good practice for the day I finally got to hunt an old family farm. There is a huge oak tree standing on a knoll overlooking most of the farm. I've dreamt of swinging that coil around it for weeks. I finally got the time a couple of weeks ago. I only MD'd a couple of hours that day but I'm planning on going back tomorrow. Hopefully I will have some more Firsts to post.

Attachments

• 1906IH F.JPG
    1906IH F.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 715
  • 1906IH B.JPG
    1906IH B.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 744
  • 18K Wed. band.JPG
    18K Wed. band.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 740
Upvote 1

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. That IH looks great. Did I see 8K in the ring?

OP
OP
Fisher

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Evolution said:
Nice finds. That IH looks great. Did I see 8K in the ring?

I believe it was 18K gold plated. When I first dug it up I thought it was copper until I cleaned it some and saw the stamping.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have got the hang of that MXT now...Nice nice finds. Hope you find many more.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work! I agree with you that digging the clad is excellent practice. When I took a newbie under my wing last and helped him out, we first met up not at a site but at the library for a day of research...then the next meeting was at a park to dig some clad and get him used to his machine, pinpointing, coin signals, proper recovery, nice plugs, etc. Then it was time for him to get the oldies! Looks like you got 'em! Excellent job, and I'm sure there'll be many more to come for you.

Regards,

Buckleboy

S

seger98

Nice find, I'm pretty sure that 8K is an English term meaning 2/3 copper & 1/3 gold. I also found a ring with that in it & was told by a few jewlers that's what it stands for... Keep diggin Chris

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not a jeweler but I know some about gold because I am allergic to costume. I found a stamped piece at a yard sale and called a very well know jeweler and they said that jewelry is solid if the stamp is in the gold. Maybe you should clean it and check it out, I'd be happy if I found what you did!

OP
OP
Fisher

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sara77 said:
I'm not a jeweler but I know some about gold because I am allergic to costume. I found a stamped piece at a yard sale and called a very well know jeweler and they said that jewelry is solid if the stamp is in the gold. Maybe you should clean it and check it out, I'd be happy if I found what you did!

You may not be a jeweler but you do know more than me! You've peaked my interest...so I cleaned it a little.
Thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• 18K Wed band cleaned.JPG
    18K Wed band cleaned.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 265

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Fisher---A great start.
[ I call it dirt fishing]

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds

Great job taking the time to learn your machine for awhile before you deliberately went after the old stuff! Many people just do a cursory go-over of their owner's manual and machine, and then trudge off thinking their going to find handfuls of Goodies just like that guy with the XLT on that commercial a few years back. Sometimes that does work....but most times the end result is another detector in the closet or on EBay. Looks like your game plan's reaping good results.

Congrats on your first oldies and I look forward to seeing many more.

WTG!
-SgtSki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread