jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pittsburg dispatch. (Pittsburg [Pa.]), 23 Aug. 1892.

Untitled.jpg

Pittsburg dispatch. (Pittsburg [Pa.]) 1880-1923, August 23, 1892, Page 10, Image 10 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

snedden001

Dec 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this site, and did a search for my area. I'm a historian in Beaver County, PA. Found this post from 2015 and wanted to clarify the story. The two skeletons were not found in Beaver Falls. Beaver Falls was just the news office (Beaver Falls Tribune) closest to the site, and thus, it was reported as from Beaver Falls. These skeletons were actually found near present-day West Aliquippa, near the southern boundary of town.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice follow up !! Welcome to t-net

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this site, and did a search for my area. I'm a historian in Beaver County, PA. Found this post from 2015 and wanted to clarify the story. The two skeletons were not found in Beaver Falls. Beaver Falls was just the news office (Beaver Falls Tribune) closest to the site, and thus, it was reported as from Beaver Falls. These skeletons were actually found near present-day West Aliquippa, near the southern boundary of town.
Welcome to Treasurenet! Great info..do you have any more info? Any idea where the remains went? It would be interesting to have those bones DNA tested to find out if indeed they were native Americans.

snedden001

Dec 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't have many records from the Russell Shovel Works, but we know from Sanborn maps where it was located. The factory was on the south end of what is now West Aliquippa. It is assumed that the bones were reburied a bit further south along the river, in what was then (1892) a stretch of old farmland. Unfortunately, in 1906 the land was bought up by Jones & Laughlin Steel and eventually transformed into their 7-mile long Aliquippa Works. Over a century of industrial development has probably lost the bones for good, buried under many feet of slag and fill.

As a followup, I found a bunch of articles about giant skeletons found around the northeastern US during the last two decades of the 19th century. It seems to have been something of a phenomenon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions