2 Half Cents Found = 1 Cent Lost = The Misfortune of a Chap (Update with pics)

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Hey, guys, Blitz and I headed back to the defunct park where I found my three-cent piece last week, and it turned out to be another dandy.

I decided to head back to the area where I found my three-center, and I was rewarded with an 1899 Injun. Blitz also graced me with his presence by uncovering an 1884 Injun. I ended 2006 with 36 crazy Injuns, doubling last year's total.

After the break, we decided to focus on the field adjacent to the amusement park, since we had an inkling that there might have been an old homestead in this field somewhat prior to it becoming a park. So, to make a long story short, Blitz unveiled an 1804 Draped Bust half cent in the first 30 minutes. About 10 minutes later, I heard him gobblin' over the walkie-talkie that he had just found an undated Liberty Cap half cent. It seems quite evident that something was here in the 1700s. After Blitz handed Doyboy his half cents, doy had to humorous us with his British accent by saying, "Damn it, Edith, your slipshod mending of my pockets cost me one cent this week."

My research keeps paying off in gigantic dividends.

Since my uncle found these, I will not have pictures until Tuesday night, so stay tuned.

Upvote 0
D

doyboy

Re: 2 Half Cents Found = 1 Cent Lost = The Misfortune of a Chap

I still find it amazing how a title such as "3 Memorial pennies and a Pocket Full of Garbage" will bring more responses than your post. ??? Zoy, your research kicks ass! Maybe we should start finding some Memorials. We will get a lot more replies! heheheHeHeheHehehe :D

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX

Zoy, great research i'll bet your going to pull up something better yet.
congrats

Mark

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT

it was a pleasure reading your post. Good job with the research and awesome finds.

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Wow those 1/2 cents are coming out of the woodwork. Now you need a nice Large Copper flowing hair to top it all off ;D Congrats on the finds.

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Here is the pic of the 1804 and 1794 half cents. During further research, we identified the Liberty Cap as a 1794 due to the larger cap. Consult the red book to see it for yourself.

Attachments

• DSCF0650.JPG
    DSCF0650.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 242

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: 2 Half Cents Found = 1 Cent Lost = The Misfortune of a Chap (Update with pic

Geez, guys...I'm going to take the three hour trip to Wmsport and join in the hunt!! :P You are diggin up some great coins!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I agree, although not 100% sure, since photos can be deceiving on heavily corroded coins, but sure looks like the cap is of the 94 variety, that is how I would ID it.

Shame, if you clean it up some, could probably attribute the variety for you on both coins.

The 1794 has nine varieties, 2 of which are common and two that are rare and one very rare variety. Wouldn't that be nice to know? :)

The 1804, well there are 13 varities of them, from common to very rare also. A rare or very rare one might still be in demand, even in the condition they are, the trouble is, they can not be accurately attributed unless the dirt is further removed if that is possible. Sort of a Catch 22 situation. I would be trying to make them more readable if they were mine..

If they already are cleaned of the dirt and that is corrosion left, not much can be done then.... :(

Don in South Jersey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread