2 HOURS = 10 SILVERS AND KEY DATE 1914D WHEATIE !!!!

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
Another slow day at work so I took off a little early to do some detecting before our club meeting tonite. I had my eye on a particular park in the city for many years, but never hunted it because I assumed it was built in the 1960's and not worth the effort when I had better places always available.

When I was researching a couple other spots, this park popped up again but the info with it was that it was actually built in the early 1930's. That definitely piqued my interest, especially since I also knew there was a lot of activity in that area during WWII and I was pretty confident that that park saw little if any detecting activity in recent years.

So that's where I headed for the afternoon for a couple hours. I started hunting and noticed there was a lot of trash and interference, but I soon had a deep silver hit. Up popped a Merc and Roosy in the same hole - a good start! I soon started getting good targets everywhere and they were deep - about 7-8 inches. Wheaties galore and more silver came to light.

This park was loaded with 2-3" deep clad coins, almost to the point that they were a big nuisance in trying to pick out the deep hits to dig. Yeah, this place hadn't been hunted since the early 1980's during the "silver rush" and they pretty much cleaned out the older clad and newer silver between 4-6 inches deep, but that was just fine with me as I had plenty of deep targets to dig. At one point I dug a silver quarter and 2 Mercs out of the same hole and I noticed it was getting close to time to go, so I just concentrated on the high silver hits and left the not-so-high wheatie hits behind.

I finished up with 10 silver coins - 2 Washington Quarters, 7 Mercs, and 1 Roosy (I liked digging mostly Mercs instead of Roosies) and 33 wheats, but the big surprise would come later at the club meeting.........

After the meeting began I took out my finds and started to clean them up (I dont look at dates when I hunt - I leave that for later) and half way through the wheaties THIS popped up!!! :hello2:

17jul081914Dwheat.JPG

1914D wheatie!!! It is in great shape, especially since most of the other wheaties were typically trashed by the bad soil. What a surprise! This is my 3rd 1914D wheatie I've ever found.

Here's the whole group of finds... I only covered a small portion of this park and left the best side to be hunted later and you can bet I will... VERY soon.... maybe today will be slow at work.........
Take care and HH, Mike.

17jul08finds.JPG

Upvote 0

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I had a 14-d the other day. NOT! 14 no D. Congrats! Thats a nice find.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be the angle of the photo, but it looks like an off-center strike to me. There doesn't appear to be any room for the "L" in Liberty in the 1914D. That's a decent $$ coin anyway, can't imagine what an error 14D would bring. Like I said, check it closely, it may just be the angle.

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Wow, I was going to tell you congrats, but then I saw where you've found 3, 14D's. That just isn't right. JK, awesome silver and a real nice penny! Good luck going back, I'm sure there is a 16D Merc in there for you.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
This would make a great year for me. Can't even imagine finding 10 silver coins in one day.

Just awesome!!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
A Stellar 2-hr hunt for you, Mike!
What a bonus on that 14-D !!
Don't you just love those multiple coin silver holes?

Congrats!! I'm sure you'll be pulling lots more from that place!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude! Way to go! I've found three 14-d's in 39 years detecting, I hope to find more......Kane 23

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! The 1914-D is still just an empty hole in my coin book, staring back at me in all its loneliness.
Carl

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW ~ VERY NICE COIN FINDS THERE! WOOHOOO!!! You've dug THREE 1914-D wheats? THAT'S AWESOME!! A few months ago I dug a 1914-S wheat and at first I thought it was a "D" ~ but when I got home and took the magnifier to it I saw it was a "S" mint.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is sweet!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread