2 months-1005 coins and no silver yet

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
I've been MDing for 2 months now and tonight I broke the 1000 coin milestone. I still have yet to find silver. Just wondering if anybody can advise me where to hunt. Been to a couple old farm sites and still no luck. Not complaining... as I did find a beautiful 14k with 7 Rubies ring, just need to feed my hunger for silver.
Thanks! Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

John

Upvote 0

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the 1000 milestone and the gold ring. Better then I did in my first two months. When looking for silver I've always had luck in older parks and any home built in the fifties or earlier. Be patient and it will come although I know someone that was metal detecting for eight years before finding silver that is an extreme case.

NJ

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
litefire56 said:
I've been MDing for 2 months now and tonight I broke the 1000 coin milestone. I still have yet to find silver. Just wondering if anybody can advise me where to hunt. Been to a couple old farm sites and still no luck. Not complaining... as I did find a beautiful 14k with 7 Rubies ring, just need to feed my hunger for silver.
Thanks! Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

John

John last year I found over 11,000 coins and had I think 12 silver coins total.. Try a few older spots... This year I am doing much better, even had back to back silver coin days... I did some research and found a few older areas. You can look up forest preserves, parks, ask permission on private property and any public vacant lots that might be around. Also someone mentioned older homes. Glad to hear you hit gold...last year I found a lot of gold and silver jewelry...this year not nearly as much up to now...are you finding any wheaties that look like they have been in the ground for a while? If so there should be some silver around... If you have any older churches in the area with grounds...maybe ask permission there... Good luck it will be all that much more special when you find it! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Bridge End Farm said:
wow an awesome few months :thumbsup: heck with that kind of finds take the clad and go buy some silver lol

Actually I did just that..Bought a Peace dollar, 1893 Chicago Colombian Fair half dollar, 34 Quarter, 1906 Barber dime some Buffalo's and IH's. I wanted to see how my 250 would react to them and to give it the "scent" like a trained bloodhound to find more!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
litefire56 said:
Bridge End Farm said:
wow an awesome few months :thumbsup: heck with that kind of finds take the clad and go buy some silver lol

Actually I did just that..Bought a Peace dollar, 1893 Chicago Colombian Fair half dollar, 34 Quarter, 1906 Barber dime some Buffalo's and IH's. I wanted to see how my 250 would react to them and to give it the "scent" like a trained bloodhound to find more!

rofl lol :thumbsup: great idea :thumbsup:

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used a Ace 250 but I am sure they are plenty capable machines. It took me a few months before I found my first piece of silver. I think that my advice would be to take a look at your hunting techniques and possibly the areas you are at.

First techniques
  • Make sure you keep the coil as close to the ground as possible. I literally keep the coil in contact with the ground.
  • Sweep speed matters. This is where your test garden can come in handy. Bury some coins at different depths and find a sweep speed that works!!
  • Overlap your swings. I have been in a hurry and missed several coins. You can't rush treasure :tard:

Areas
  • I have always loved construction sites when I can get in them.
  • After a storm I like to drive around some of the older areas that could possibly have trees that were blown over.
  • Drive around older parts of town and look for people re-landscaping their yards. I have only been turned down a few times.

I hope this may help and get your mind turning. One last thing keep a good outlook. Many times when I had a positive look on my hunt great things seemed to jump from the ground.

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use an ACE250 and have been MDing since 1-1-08. I have less than half of the coins that you have found. I did however find a 1944 Walking Liberty Half. It was found at a home site that is slated for teardown. I received permission from the property owner / builder. the homes that are on this site were built in 1916. I also found 3 wheat pennies there. I was working under the area of an old clothes line. Look for older areas that are slated to be redeveloped. Look for empty lots that have old foundations or slabs. If you find an older location check with or at the assessors office you can determine when the property was developed. Sounds as if the ring you found is a beauty. Keep going and remember this is a hobby!! Have fun with it. HH

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
LF 56,
I have had an Ace for more than a year and was never able to pull silver from the turf at the local parks. Now that I have a Minelab Explorer I have been able to find some silver coins in the turf. However, I did find some silver dimes with the Ace in the woods and harder to reach sections of the parks I hunt. The Ace is a good machine but it does not go as deep as some of the top end machines. In my area, a lot of retired guys detect everyday with really good machines (not to mention Capn SE lives nearby). They have hammered the turf, and although no place is ever hunted out, they have dwindled down the amount of silver in the turf. So what I did, realizing it was going to be difficult to sniff out silver with the Ace in the turf is I asked myself, "Where could I go in this park that the retired guys wouldn't go? Where would it be more challenging to hunt? Where is the most difficult place to hunt in the park that has potential for holding some old coins?" This has worked and although it requires hunting on slopes and in weeds and other stuff, I've managed to pull silver with the Ace.
I hope you find some soon but don't put too much pressure on yourself. It will happen in its own good time.
Best wishes,
T-man

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
It took me 5 months to find one silver 1960 dime.

I still haven't found a gold or even a silver ring.

I haven't found half the coins you have either.

Count your blessings. Be patient. Search those older wooded areas thoroughly.

Your not doing bad for only 2 months work. Your ahead of the game actually.

Some people can't find that in a year.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if I can offer any advice about where to hunt at. Just keep going over your old spots and DIG EVERYTHING. Even those things you may have left behind, dig ' em. I found about 500 coins at my old elementary school cherrypicking all the coin signals and I thought I had dug it all. Well, yesterday my luck changed. I told myself I was going to dig all signals no matter what they were. I ended up finding a 1915 Buffalo nickel in a place I had been over several times. Just today I went back to another place I had been over several times and found a '44 Wheat and a 10K ring.

There's definitely good stuff out there. The question is; Do you have the patience to dig all signals?

If you answered yes, you can find the good stuff

Happy Hunting,
Codes

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look deep. I have watched a lot of newbies and if it is over 4 or 5 inches they tend to skip it and go after the shallow stuff. Unfortunately with the ACE, many times the silver sounds just like lawnmower slaw. I know because I have dug 8" to find a piece of an aluminum can! I have found several dimes along the curb line in front of old areas of town. They use to park in the street and drop change when they got out of a car I guess?..or buggie depending on how old the coin is. Monty

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the ace 250 as well, and just yesterday I found just over 1000 coins and my 2nd silver coin. I hunt mostly old houses, I just keep knocking doors, only been told no a couple times, it is frustrating I know! I have found 45 wheats this year as well, so I know the ace can sniff out coins to 8"

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
nice job on your 1005 coins! Keep looking for that silver! Hey if it makes you feel better my last silver was two years ago.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Congratulations on your stellar coin count in 2 months! I'm new to this too, but I got lucky & found one silver coin in the first 2 weeks. Still looking for more. Sounds like you got a lot of good advice in the responses. I've found no Indians or buffalos, and my oldest coin is a penny from the 1920's. Lots of clad, but nowhere near your count. I still get just as much of a thrill digging a clad quarter as a wheat penny though - seems like every hit is something to look forward to. Maybe your next hit will be something shiny! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread