Relic Hunting

Attachments

• rsz_100_0380_0001.jpg
    rsz_100_0380_0001.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,350

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Re: 2 month's finds on my farm

Oh my! A genuine bowie knife! That is the bomb man. Ebay posts all sorts of fakes as genuine and you got yourself one right from the action! Good job man, treasure that one. Not many of those to find! Your a lucky guy to have a spot like that !

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice!

hh

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

B,

outstanding group of artifacts.

And I'm sure there is more out there.

Thanks for posting.

have a good un..........
SHERMANVILLE

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That Bowie is sweet! Would it affect the value to have a handle put on it? I was thinking a nice deer antler...

P

PHANTOM35

:oI SEE A KNIFE , THATS VERY COOL.WTG.... KEEP THESE PIC'S COMING.

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Too add a handle if done right, without altering the original blade, and using the correct materials should not affect the value much. It should be done in a manner as to be easily changed back to the original condition tho. The handle for this knife would have probably been a turned wood handle, stacked wooden discs, or in the rare case if this was a lasso bowie made by Mclroy Hunt in Macon Ga, it would have a solid brass handle.

D.

OP
OP
brnn53

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks for the great replies! I thought the knife was Confederate as I had seen one at the Manassas museum that was very similar but I wasn't sure if it was a Bowie. Yes, I feel very lucky to be able to hunt these fields within walking distance of my home. I never heard of a skirmish here but the fired Spencer shells and some fired round balls have me wondering what happened here. There are so many drops and camp lead. The spoon was found at over 12' and the 3 ringer was right beside it. I dig any "large" sounding iron and the knife certainly was. My dad told me that when he was a boy they would use the minies for fishing weights and could find them in one of the fields. Unfortunately, during WW2, a P-47 crashed right there and the whole area is full of aluminum that rings in everywhere from gold to silver. Very frustrating! Lucky for me there are 2 other fields that are giving up some of the better finds. I went out today and found another knapsack hook and buck ball but nothing else worth relaying. I'll keep ya'll posted.
Mike :)

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

brnn53 said:
I never heard of a skirmish here but the fired Spencer shells and some fired round balls have me wondering what happened here. Mike :)

Most probably there wasn't any action there. You are probably just finding fired bullets from practice firing. They didn't have much to do in camp besides shoot thier guns and play cards :) IMHO a camp is even better than a skirmish site. They may have stayed there for an extended period of time in 'huts' which just means they had more time to drop things. They would often discard 'trash' in the huts when they packed up and left. Or it could have been just an overnight camp site. Either way, you have a great spot to play on. I would hunt that place in all metal and see what turns up.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Very nice finds, WTG!!!
I thought Bowie Knife when I first saw that thing, but I would have figured the handle section would have followed the edge of the wood on the handle. After reading the replies, looks like it may just be a Bowie knife, what a find. I don't think I've ever even seen one, except for on TV until now... Very cool...
Continued Good luck with the site, & Happy hunting~

Leebo in SC

Jul 4, 2006
Upstate SC
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice finds. Love the knife.

Lee

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WoW! :o Beautiful finds, Mike! You are very fortunate to have that site to hunt!

Love them finds!!!

Keep 'em coming!

Nana :)

jeff from east pa

Feb 13, 2006

great relics grandma knows her stuff. that bowie knife is great. If it were mine I would not add a handle because if someone see's a remade handle they may believe the rest is not civil war period. That bowie has great character by itself. Great stuff!!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Grandma is always good to aske even if she ain't you grandma!
I would go out hunting more after such finds..Nice work there man.. ;)

J

Judy C

Great finds! I also agree leave the knife alone. It's "barebones" is a tribute to it's authenticity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread