Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was a great day....met up with Kyle (Nooberz) and we hunted curbs for 1.5 hours, only got a few wheats and the sterling ring. We knocked a few doors and couldn't find anyone home, so we decided to drive out in the country and look for an old farm.

We found one that looked good and old and we knocked and got permission. Very first coin I dug was the 1865 2 cent piece. Unfortunately it was toasted bad. I had to get aggressive in the cleaning just to be able to see any details, it is so beat up looks like it got in a fight and lost bad....lol :tongue3:

Next dig was two merc dimes in one hole 1941, and 1942. Then about 3 foot from that hole I got 2 tokens, one side says Ginger, other side says "good for one pack of cigarettes"....never knew anything even existed. Kyle dug two of the exact tokens just a few feet away, so someone lost four of them.

We moved on to another farm and it was pretty good as well. There I got 2 more merc dimes, 1938 and a 1916-S, when I rinsed the dirt off and saw the 1916, I was like NO WAY.....then I saw the "S" on the back and I said if it were a "D" no one would have even believed me....lol. I did however dig a 1916-D wheat, does that count.....hahaha :laughing7:

Got a 1900 indian, ton of wheats, soap token, then on the way out I hit a deep 1901 barber dime for my 150th silver of the season. :thumbsup:
Great weather, great finds with a good buddy, can't ask for more!!!!!

DSC01349.jpg

DSC01353.jpg

DSC01354.jpg

DSC01355.jpg

DSC01356.jpg

DSC01358.jpg

DSC01359.jpg

Upvote 0

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! What's on the other side of the Flannery piano token? I'd encourage you posting it on tokencatalog.com. The cigarette tokens were payoffs from a sort of slot machine that took in nickels and paid out tokens to avoid being classified as a gambling device.
John in ID

up north

Jun 3, 2009
The Frozen Tundra
Detector(s) used
Whites's PRIZM V
Heathkit GP-45 Metal Locator
Garrett Ace 150
Pacific Northwest Insturments BH2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to "Make your own'' Luck! Fortune favors the bold.
I'm still looking for my first 2c.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idahotokens said:
Nice finds! What's on the other side of the Flannery piano token? I'd encourage you posting it on tokencatalog.com. The cigarette tokens were payoffs from a sort of slot machine that took in nickels and paid out tokens to avoid being classified as a gambling device.
John in ID
thanks for the info on the cig tokens, on the other side of the piano token it says Automatic pianos State AGT..so no idea on that one!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. Love those tokens. :thumbsup:
-MM-

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Lipscomb's OH Merchant Tokens shows two varieties of the Flannery token and notes "1907". He indicates that both varieties are brass, but yours sure looks like aluminum to me. The 1894-95 Springfield City Directory shows J. L. Flannery & Co., dealers in pianos and organs, 55 W. Main St. The 1900 Census shows John L. Flannery as a piano dealer, but in 1910 he had moved on to be a cigar manufacturer. Technically, the token is a "store card" rather than a "good for" - it may have been used as a giveaway like a business card.
John in ID

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idahotokens said:
Lipscomb's OH Merchant Tokens shows two varieties of the Flannery token and notes "1907". He indicates that both varieties are brass, but yours sure looks like aluminum to me. The 1894-95 Springfield City Directory shows J. L. Flannery & Co., dealers in pianos and organs, 55 W. Main St. The 1900 Census shows John L. Flannery as a piano dealer, but in 1910 he had moved on to be a cigar manufacturer. Technically, the token is a "store card" rather than a "good for" - it may have been used as a giveaway like a business card.
John in ID
it is brass, with silver colored coating, when i first dug it I thought I had a silver coin. It rang up like a wheat, has the weight of brass, definately not aluminum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread