2 points

ole_grisley

Nov 23, 2007
Lycomming Co Pa
Detector(s) used
treasure cove
I got 2 points with a bunch of coins the other day and am hoping someone can tell me something about them
I beleive they was found here in the Williamsport Pa area and the woman had them since she was a little girl. the coins are in the garage sale finds also. the sizes are about 1 1/4 small one and2 to 21/2 on the large can't find my tape measure.

Attachments

• point1.jpg
    point1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 281
  • point2.jpg
    point2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 287
  • point1.jpg
    point1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 277
  • point2.jpg
    point2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang on Griz there are some people on here familiar with point typology in the PA region. I am just not one of them. Nice finds with the coins though !!!
HH
TnMtns

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Nice finds Ole Grisley, it's good to see some more Pa types and materials around here. First one looks like an archaic side notch of some sort. Not sure about the other. Artorius could probably help you out, guy knows his Pa types well.

crow12c

Aug 8, 2009
Id agree side notch, them notched peices sometimes are hard to tell. they seem to take allota forms. cool find!

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
Nice points. They look to me to be resharpened Brewerton points. The larger one looks to be a resharpened Brewerton side-notch point; the other might either have started as a side-notched or corner-nothed point, but with resharpening it is hard to tell. Brewerton and Brewerton-like points are standard fare in your part of the Commonwealth. But great to find, noetheless.

Brewerton points are dated to the mid-late Archaic (circa 4000-5000 years old), but the same styles persisted into Woodland times, and your points may be as recent as a couple of thousand years old.

Your two pieces look to be made of local "Helderberg cherts". These are flints that vary from respectable quality to dull, fractured, raspy material. Your points look to be made of better quality Helderbergs. The material occurs extensively in Lycoming County; there are substantial deposits around Muncy, and I have heard that some crops up at the surface near Hughesville as well.

artorius

OP
OP
ole_grisley

ole_grisley

Nov 23, 2007
Lycomming Co Pa
Detector(s) used
treasure cove
wow cool it is good to know that people here know so much about points and other things I have learned so much on here and enjoy seeing what people find. I got the 2 points from a older lady that had them since she was a child along with a coin collection that is posted in garage sale finds. wish I had found these my self but still happy to have them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread