• rock2.JPG
    rock2.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,301

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
The second picture is pretty well shadowed,
Here is a negative inversion to help bring up the subject.

(a little bigger picture wouldn't hurt either.)

Attachments

• rock2.JPG
    rock2.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,263

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
I would say Looks to like like You are returning to that Mnt top for more Pics.
there is other things in the 1st lil above the eye?
2nd 1 tough to tell due to the shadows blending in as OD says.
But due to the size (small) I would think within 100 ft or so there is something else of interest.

OP
OP
cerebus

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
Yeah, not a great pic, even has camera string hanging down. Probably won't be able to get back there for a while. Will try and edit the pic a bit. interesting though, never thought much about it except some guy must have been pretty bored.lol

Attachments

• rock1bigger.JPG
    rock1bigger.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,265
  • rock2bigger.JPG
    rock2bigger.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 1,282

feather

Jul 29, 2009
Pity your pics are so bad. Looks like you actually have two images next to one another in both pics. Better postings will result in better feed back. Whilst out there, most certainly take a better look around and photograph anything of interest, you never know just might fit the puzzle. Also, save you another trip out.

regards feather

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
hey cerebus, why not take alond a machete or small saw and remove a few branches to get rid of their shadows?. just be neat and remove debris to some other place to keep others off the track. do you have help? if so,maybe let the partner hold up a cloth of some kind to block the bushes to take more pictures. i like the square or diamond with the eye in it.looks like you're in for a lot of fun-- thanks for posting-----tenclaw

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
kiddrock33 said:
are they on the same rock?

Good Eye Kid there is another square in the 2nd Pic
look close @ the center of the RH border there is another square there

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
just a little bigger, if you go to far they blurr
sorry forgot a pic, have you noticed, one eye
points corner to corner, and the other side to side
i lightened the eyes pic

Attachments

• rock1.JPG
    rock1.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 962
  • rock2.JPG
    rock2.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 954
  • rock 1 and 2.jpg
    rock 1 and 2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 967

jimcor

Dec 31, 2009
East of the Rockies
Common Advertisements from "back in the day". Means:

"Eye'd Say You Were Wise To Stop, Eat Here and Get Gas".

I forget the name of the Indian tribe that ran the cross country chain of restaraunts and filling stations, but they did leave their marks. :tongue3: :laughing9: :notworthy: :headbang: :hello2:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I have no idea where this is ...
But I'm unable to really determine who or what group made the sign.
My gut says it probably isn't Spanish, as it has no directional.
I have not seen Spanish put an eye in a box, or make an eye this small.

I'm not guessing on this one ... sorry

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
What kind of coin is that?

The top one...well when you get something so small is hard to tell. Perhaps that one has topo info on it. The peak with a dot in it could be topo or a sign. Upper left of eye.

Notice it is an animal either holding the box in its mouth or laying its long neck and head on it.

Above that..maybe a skull with no jawbone figure. You can see two tiny eye sockets at very top.

Then again below that though it also resembles some sort of non spanish head. head to me.That square is not exact..but in that general area.

Well as i said when it gets small... nothing is certain.

Maybe a tomb around and maybe old. Just speculation.

Attachments

• rock1.JPG
    rock1.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 783
  • rock1mk.jpg
    rock1mk.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 791

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
desertmoons said:
What kind of coin is that?

The top one...well when you get something so small is hard to tell. Perhaps that one has topo info on it. The peak with a dot in it could be topo or a sign. Upper left of eye.

Notice it is an animal either holding the box in its mouth or laying its long neck and head on it.

Above that..maybe a skull with no jawbone figure. You can see two tiny eye sockets at very top.

Then again below that though it also resembles some sort of non spanish head. head to me.That square is not exact..but in that general area.

Well as i said when it gets small... nothing is certain.

Maybe a tomb around and maybe old. Just speculation.
Amazing. Someone finally posts a picture of a significent sign and you guys can't see the forest for the trees. Amazing.

This carving was made by someone who who wanted to leave an unmistakable mark for later use. There is no subtlety, hidden marks, fantasy animals, etc. associated with it. Why would there be? It is a symbol of recognition with possible other meanings - meanings known and used by the carver and, presumably, those who would be later seeking it. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is a node on a map, part of a geometric pattern of other clues, a directional online check, etc.

Is it a 'treasure sign'? Possibly, but it could be many, many other things too, such as a surveyor's control point, boundary marker, etc. Diligent searching of the surrounding terrain, the county courthouse and local history may yield results. Speculating on animal faces only keeps you in a fantasy mode. This is fine if you're just playing, but it doesn't serve you well if you're seriously trying to figure out what the carving is.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Since this seems to be a mystery..you might want to consider this sort of thing too. The square may not be a square but an indicator for something else....just a thought.Just playing with non obvious ideas for these symbols.

You know those symbols look familiar to me but for life of it..can not find them.

I find it useful to consider the non obvious most times :) Does not always work but sometimes it brings forth some interesting info.

Attachments

• rockmk2.jpg
    rockmk2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 731
OP
OP
cerebus

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
I was very surprised to see so many replies here, thought the topic was dead until i got a PM and went back to check out this spot. Haven't been able to get back there yet due to snow, well could get there but there wouldn't be any better pics. For info there is no recorded history of natives in the area. The coin in the pic is a canadian 5 cent, same size as US 5 cent. There definitely were all types in the area, spanish, Portuguese, basques, british, irish.
Here is another pretty freaky pic headstone that has fallen over I assume. Found this about 2 km away, and of course my pics are bad, took these over a year ago as well.
It is of a skull and crossbones with what appears to be about 13 heads, probably children. Very creepy.

Attachments

• skulls1.jpg
    skulls1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 726
  • skulls2.jpg
    skulls2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 718

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007
ceremus!! Do anyone see a hand in bottom pic? With middle finger,, first knuckle possibly being a compass with arrow pointer!! And above the compass on top knuckle a number seven!! And 13 heads may mean 13 bars and , or 13 is an M,,,, Don't know much about what it all means, or what direction to point you in!!!! But it is my 2 cents BRO!!! Much Luck!! td

Attachments

• skulls21.JPG
    skulls21.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 586

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
The faces I have circled are obvious.yet for some reaosn very eerie...VERY interesting spot you have found...

facerock.jpg

Attachments

• facerock.jpg
    facerock.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 503

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread