2 Short Hunts 1 Cache and my 7th Silver

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out Wednesday evening with Fuzzy535 to hunt on old farm site before it gets demolished. I pulled many slate shingle nails, and then the tootsie toy. Swang my coil around a large tree in the front yard and got a zinc signal. I was praying for an IHP, and dug the plug and pulled 19 cents. 14 zincolns and 5 copper memorials. So much for my IHP :BangHead:

Today I left work early and thought I'd hit on old orphanage site the next town over. I spent an hour or so researching it on line last night, reading articles, the towns plans for the site and also looked at historical maps and google maps (satellite images). In 4 minutes I dug a 1940 wheat, and thought this site has potential. :thumbsup: Withing 5 minutes a street dept employee stated that the property is owned by the town an I can't dig there. :dontknow: I told him I read the town ordinances and there is nothing in them that bans detecting. I also stated that last summer I personally talked to the guy at the town hall about MDing in parks and he gave me the green light. 2 minutes later a police car rolls up. :BangHead: I walk to the car and ask if where I am parking is okay. He said yes and wanted to know if I was finding any goodies. He is also a MDer and we talked about other potential sites in the town he's really a nice guy. Him and his daughter get out occasionally to enjoy the hobby. :hello2: I detected for another 10 minutes and got a loud 83-84 signal. I dug a plug and the next thing I know the guy from across the street was hovering over me. :BangHead: I turned off the detector, stood up an we chatted for about 30 minutes, He has been detecting this site for the past year with his AT Pro and stated that I wouldn't find anything good. As a matter of fact he corkscrewed the tree with his detector, out about 30 feet or so. Nice fellow, told him about TNET and we showed each other pics of recent finds on our smart phones. As soon as he left I went back and pulled the coin out of the plug. A 1942 quarter 3rd of the year (7th silver) :occasion14:. So much for this site being pounded out. I hope they mow soon so I can hit other areas of the 9 acre lot.

Thanks for reading, GL& HH.

20150515_170326.jpg 20150515_170332.jpg

Upvote 13

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. Found that exact same Tootsie late last year. t was really cool as I remember having that one as a kid. There really isn't any such thing as "searched out".

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too had that car as a kid. Do kids even play with those nowadays?

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job. Found that exact same Tootsie late last year. t was really cool as I remember having that one as a kid. There really isn't any such thing as "searched out".

I remember buying a set as a child. You get get a set of these or 1 match box, I took the tootsie toys. This is the Jaguar model. the 4th tootsie toy in 12 months.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love them tootsies

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the roofing nails suck... My 350 was a freakin magnet to those.. My pro hasn't found any, only cuz I am re-hunting sites,I got them the first time.:BangHead:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunting, Loco-D, and congrats on "bro-ing down" with the officer. Your cool countenance won the day, even made a friend of the other MDing nosey neighbor without giving up your find. Patience and research paid off for you. Sub 8-)

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super job pulling a nice keeper out of a spot where someone has told you they already got them all:laughing7:

Keep it low and slow:notworthy: Nice finds!:thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice on the quarter ! I'll tell anybody who will listen - Get Happy anytime you hear the words "you won't find much this place is
hunted out " or words to that effect . I have yet to see such a place that hasn't given up a lot of goodies !

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice on the quarter ! I'll tell anybody who will listen - Get Happy anytime you hear the words "you won't find much this place is
hunted out " or words to that effect . I have yet to see such a place that hasn't given up a lot of goodies !

Yep. They might have got a lot of the easy finds, but they also have either cleaned a lot of trash out, or left it. Either way opens up opportunities for you.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds!!

I love when Im told "ya wont find anything", to me that means CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!
I live in an area where 34529432520 detectors are, most sites I hit I hear this, most are
cherry picked, but I always manage to squeak a goodie or two out of them. no one gets
it all. This year I found a 1822 LC and an civil war infantry button at a farmhouse ive hit
about 4 times, each time the owner says "I don't think youll find much" lol

ok story over lol, I got a little carried away there

Keep a pluggin away!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save on the quarter!!

You did better then I would have. Lol knowing I had a possible silver I'd have probably dug it just for the chance to say "yeah, you cleaned this place out". Lol

Hope you can save some more silver from there.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good post LD. I really like it too when they say a place has been cleaned out. Usually, that means the " obvious, easy and any idiot can find it " targets were cleaned out lol. Determination is a good quality to have in a hobby that has been slowly depleting our bucket list finds for 40 years or so now.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job on the silver and dealing with the people:notworthy:. I haven't found a single silver quarter yet...YET dang it, gotta believe :dontknow:. I was doing some sidewalk strip last week and this lady pulled into her driveway next to me, with a real snotty attitude she asked what I was doing. So, I of course, stated the obvious "metal detecting". When she gave me the hairy eyeball I just said "city property ma'am". There is this older man that talks to me every day I go to the "pounded out" park(where I found the 1858 shield nickel 2 weeks ago) that tells me the same stories every time, but occasionally adds a little something. It's like listening to your detector, half listen to the chirps while waiting for the sweet tone. He told me about an area where a pool used to be, I immediately found the Tootsietoy I posted earlier this week. Didn't we all have that exact Tootsie you found at some point as kids?(except for the young'uns).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread