2 stinko boxes of nickels, 2 not bad dime boxes

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Sort of the reverse for me - I got 2 skunk dime boxes today but I got a nice 2 silver nickel box over the weekend. At least the dime boxes are quick to search so they aren't much of a time waste anyway.

keep on searchin'

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It may be time to start investing in those nickels. Once they go to steel nickel should shoot up a bit. @ 7 cents apiece times 2000 a box=$40 profit if you can sell them.

F

Farchaus2k

ImpurestStewart said:
It may be time to start investing in those nickels. Once they go to steel nickel should shoot up a bit. @ 7 cents apiece times 2000 a box=$40 profit if you can sell them.

Still not allowed to melt them though, right?? I've heard a few talking about a steel nickel. Any real proof this is going to happen??

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Farchaus2k said:
ImpurestStewart said:

Still not allowed to melt them though, right?? I've heard a few talking about a steel nickel. Any real proof this is going to happen??

just my opinion but I think it's just a matter of time when metal prices increase again. Even now a U.S. nickel is currently worth $.0531. If (I believe when) nickels are worth $.07, $.08, $.10 the mint will eventually be forced to change the comp. - probably to steel like Canada did several years ago.

Just my 5 (nickel) cents. :)

F

Farchaus2k

Gotcha. Wouldn't surprise me either. Maybe all my pre 1960's will be worth something then ;D ;D

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Farchaus2k said:
Gotcha. Wouldn't surprise me either. Maybe all my pre 1960's will be worth something then ;D ;D

that's what I've been sort of thinking as well. Maybe a comp. change might finally give a little more collectible value to all the pre - '60's I've been saving. But even if not they will always have their intrinsic value - which is only going to rise as well IMO. :)

I think in the future nickels will be more popular with CRHers - to hoard the current 75% copper, 25% nickel nickels (like people hoard copper cents & people might search for the pre - '60 Jefferson dates like they search wheat cents now) and to find any silver keepers are well - which is what I and a lot of the rest of us do now.

Steelers0626

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImpurestStewart said:

Many people have said that the mint will change its composition in nickels to steel, but I doubt that will happen any time soon, just as people have said the mint will get rid of pennies, which has been said for almost 40 years now.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
but the mint did change the comp. of cents from copper to zinc 30 years ago (as we all know) when copper prices were increasing. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread