2 Unidentified Bullets (Enfield / British Rifle Musket)?

Appalachianman76

Aug 22, 2016
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. Thanks for reading my post. I found two bullets today. They are still in the wood of a pine tree. Can anyone help me identify them? They look very similar to Enfield or British Rifle Musket Pattern 1851. However, they are smaller than what is listed online. Their sizes are both .35 inches wide x .65 - .70 inches long. Hard to be exact due to being fired and still being in wood. They have conical hollows which are very deep, especially for the bullet size. They don't have any rings or reeded grooves. Thank you for your time and help.

Also, I would like to preserve the wood/bullet combo. Any ideas how to keep the wood from deteriorating but preserving the value of the pieces?

Attachments

• 20160822_141247.jpg
    20160822_141247.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20160822_141142.jpg
    20160822_141142.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 20160822_141433.jpg
    20160822_141433.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that pine still looks like it has sap in it. Def enfields for sure. I wonder if it might be modern muzzleloader as there is no patina? They made and poured so many variations to the smooth enfields I do not know but there are many charts. Were these out of a creek by chance?
Welcome to T-net. I am sure the bullet experts will be better at helping you.
Glad you found the site.

OP
OP
Appalachianman76

Appalachianman76

Aug 22, 2016
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that pine still looks like it has sap in it. Def enfields for sure. I wonder if it might be modern muzzleloader as there is no patina? They made and poured so many variations to the smooth enfields I do not know but there are many charts. Were these out of a creek by chance?
Welcome to T-net. I am sure the bullet experts will be better at helping you.
Glad you found the site.

Thanks for the reply and welcome. Yes, the one piece of pine still had hard sap (almost like amber) encasing it, so much so that I could not dig to get to the bullet. I had to carefully split the wood along the grain from top to bottom. I believe the piece of wood was what was left of the core of the pine tree. These bullets are from a very dry sandstone ridge. The soil is super sandy and very shallow. I have found .65 caliber musket balls and other relics that are all preserved with very little corrosion or white patina in this same area. I had the same thoughts about being modern due their newer look, but with the number and variety of different artifacts, the area they are spread over and the remoteness of the location, it's hard to fathom.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds .
As for age IMO ???? W/O seeing them in person . If the Size is right 54-57-69 cal your likely in business so they say.

Many techniques to preserve them , Choose one you like best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread