200 Coin Day Mission & Contest-Prize Results Are In & There Is A Winner!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
200 Coin Day Mission & Contest-Prize Results Are In & There Is A Winner!

Firstly, thanks for everyone who took interest in participating. I shot some self footage here and there throughout the day and made a quick and short little film, please take a look, I think you'll enjoy it. Not every dig was covered of course :+), but it's the best I could muster on my own. Here is the link.........

On to the day. I arrived a bit behind schedule at approximately 7:30am. Nothing wrong with that, I was more than prepared with flashlights and anything else I might've needed to go into the night. The morning started off very well, in about three hours I already had 85 coins plus one big honking piece of a token or medal, not quite sure what to make of this "Cookie" coin. It appears to be a "Drive for the aging" item, yet says "One dollar" on the face side bottom. At about 11:30, I took a rest and came back for more. This is where things began to get really nasty. With about 125 coins in the pouch, the finds came to one big screaching halt. My location at the park (72nd Street Picnic area) had run dry and at the rate things were popping out, it was not going to happen or come easily. I began to head north (This parks runs on the edge of Manhattan). Each and every spot that I could remember from the past simpy would not produce. It was 4 coins here, 3 coins there. And this was after taking some serious long walks. There was a point at around 6pm where my mind was set on the idea that it wasn't going to happen. I kept recalling Gregg's words of if it looks like it's not going to happen, leave, there's another day. In a last ditch effort, I headed towards an area that from memory at least had some clad laying around, and this was adjacent to the General Grant memorial, on........West 122nd Street. Fifty something city blocks later got me back in the game. Not only was the Ace ringing on every other step, but they were mini spills and at least a good ten coins were eyeballed right on the surface. Had I gone immediately to that area, the count would surely have surpassed 300. Digging was the least of it. What really beat the crap out of me was the walking. My planned area sort of let me down. Only that walk made it possible. The final count?........just like the ace....................250. To be exact, 57 Quarters, 55 dimes, 137 pennies and 1 silver mercury dime. The 1 token was not counted. Everything was seperated and counted three times this morning. I would not count once when I owe a prize to someone.

So who is the winner of the certificate?

TeddyB1967!........Claim your prize! PM me a name and address to send it to!
Photos below.......

Attachments

• DaysPile.jpg
    DaysPile.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 436
  • Heads.jpg
    Heads.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 440
  • Tails.jpg
    Tails.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 431

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 200 Coin Day Mission & Contest-Prize Results Are In & There Is A Winner!

Thanks for another great contest. Wish you had started in the "good" area. Then I might have won. ;)

Congrats to the winner.

HH.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000

Great job! If you could have done only 7 more......doggone. LOL

Get some sleep now....congrats to Teddy!

--Mel

borninok

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

Dang, you make a good video too ! Sorry I didn't see the contest posted :(

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage

Good going Ricardo. Real nice vid. I like the part where the guy walks up to you and you take out your digging knife. I was close. Only off by 4 measly coins. I just broke the coin machine at the bank cashing in my clad. I will never put in salt watered zinc pennies anymore. My coins were all over inside the machine. Just hand picked out all the bad zinckers so now I'm off to a different bank to give it a go. Either way I lost money that's still stuck in the machine. Lesson learned.
HH, Mike in NJ

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

That is sooo awesome! Thanks so much for sharing it all with us! :D

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

WTG Ricardo!!! Congrats on reaching your goal. You did really good out there!!!
Thanks a lot for having this contest. You rock!!

Congrats to the winner TeddyB!!!!!!

Smiles!
BDoo

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

Way to go! I am still just trying to top the 50 coin mark! I cannot seem to get over 30 at one time. I guess I will have to go on an all day hunt and see what happens.

I love the Ames digger but I can tell you now that I have a Lesche I don't think I could go back to using any other digger! I keep the Ames as a backup.

Keep diggin and maddygirl says hello to the guy who sold her her machine!! ;D

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool vid...soundtrack sounds like "300"?

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used

romeo-1 said:
Cool vid...soundtrack sounds like "300"?

It is, "Just how you imagined" by Nine inch nails. Loved the song, and the movie.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Video was cool. I knew I should have guessed higher as soon as I put in my guess last week but I could not change it.

Why were you wearing your backpack? That would just exhaust me all the quicker and add to a back ache.

I can see you are young and in good shape. You still must have been beat by the end of the day.

WTG and congratulations on a new personal record.

Bob

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used

Mirage said:
Video was cool.

Why were you wearing your backpack? That would just exhaust me all the quicker and add to a back ache.

Thanks Bob. The backpack was relatively light. It might look bulky, but all I had in there was an extra digging knife, batteries, the camera when I didn't have it next to a tree filming and my very light jacket which I stuffed in there. I'd lay it down, but this is New York City, and that is not a good idea.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

I do believe you might have a very good point there! ;)

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000

That's ok, Ricardo...I wear a backpack, too. I keep suntan lotion, bug spray, extra battery, cell phone, etc in it. Plus, if I ever do get jumped, I have a handy weapon (backpack) to use to defend myself. It also helps build up my stamina. And, at 56, I need all the stamina I can muster to keep up with you young guys...LOL :o :o

Oh....and when I get pooped out...that backpack sure comes in handy as a pillow. LOL :P

Again, thanks for the contest...

--Mel

borninok

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used

Mike95inNJ said:
I like the part where the guy walks up to you and you take out your digging knife. HH, Mike in NJ

What else to do when you have a $300 camera laying on the ground, a detector and you're in the not so good area of the park with someone who looks like they're looking for a payday?

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II

Excellent video, i'm looking forward to hunt in Brooklyn with you soon my brother.i hope we can get some more people to go with us, sometime in July. talk to you soon
Mike

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

Your the Man!I'm tired just reading about it.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Ricardo first of all what a great day!!! :o :o :o You my friend is what this hobby is all about! :) You went out there...did not whine...set a goal and even when you got tired got to that goal. 8) The determination was there, you were a man possessed! You were zoned in and got it done! :)

I could just see the way you dug you were able to work right around the people. I often have had to do the same thing..... Glad you did not let the surroundings stop you. Now "x" that one off your list as I did and forget about it! 8) I did it once this year and unless I find a spilled brinks truck will let that one wait again till next year!

I had a crazy day and hit a wall like you described today....I hit 75 in 2 hours 20 minutes but had to leave the park and do some other things>>>take family to lunch. But on way back talked them into stopping at forest preserve but almost an hour and a half yielded only 13 more coins, finished today at 88. So location is a lot....but also as you proved determination also plays a part in success in this hobby! Glad you got it done! :) :) :)

FANTASTIC

kroche22

Greenie
May 11, 2007
CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Great job! Love the video.

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Oh My Gosh, I can't believe I won another contest. ;D ;D THANK YOU!!! Im so happy.
Thank You Thank You Thank You, Im sorry it was such a rough day for you tho but great finds and persistance, I surely appreciate it.
Im gonna go watch the video now ;D

I'm .... Happy Happy Happy, Teddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread