**200 year old blacksmith ax head

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
THE AX HEAD WAS FOUND ON A LOT NEXT TO THE 200 YEAR OLD HOUSE. IT WAS PROBABLY THE AX USED TO CLEAR THE LOT. THE LEFT SIDE OF THE LOWER BLADE IS BROKEN OFF. BLACKSMITH MADE AXES ARE MADE WITH 2 PEACES OF METAL HAMMER FORGED TOGETHER. IT WAS FOUND 13" DEEP WITH AN XLT.

Attachments

• HISTORICAL SURVEY 011-1-X.jpg
    HISTORICAL SURVEY 011-1-X.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 704
  • HISTORICAL SURVEY 011-1-X.jpg
    HISTORICAL SURVEY 011-1-X.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 594
Upvote 0

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your display and might have to copycat you for my own 200 yr. old axe head.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
THANKS! MAYBE THIS IS THE START OF A AX HEAD POST!

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should stop piling these up at the base of trees. :laughing9: I come across plenty of these pesky little boogers.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Sniffy: It's what you do with what you find that counts! A rusty block of iron is worthless until it is conserved.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Sniffy: It's what you do with what you find that counts! A rusty block of iron is worthless until it is conserved.
I have a couple very unique ones that I keep in my collection...don't get me wrong...I find any 200 year old axe head very interesting but very heavy. I find sometimes 3-4 of these a hunt and due to the amount of walking I have to do to get to the sites I go to, they usually fall behind. But like I said, I have lugged a couple of these lunkers out.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Sniffy: Why don't you fix them up and post them? I leave mine in a bucket of water for a week. I take them out each day and wire brush them. The one pictured required a hammer and chisel to remove the rust lumps. After a week I bake them in the oven or blow dry them with the plastic welder. They then get a final brushing and air blowoff. I then apply about 2 coats of Rustoleom rust stop primer. After that is dry, I spray paint them flat black with Rustoleom industrial enamel. The mounting position is optional, flat or "dug in". I mounted this one "dug in" style to show both sides. There is a steel pin going thru the wood and ax to hold it in position. Some of the other items I have posted like the plow have bolts welded to the back. Some purist would cringe knowing that but I believe that only what shows counts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread