2000 steel penny?

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
dug this one the other day .its a 2000 steel penny ,at least i think its steel i cant find my magnet.has strange striation marks and the edges are what look s like its grooved .the pictures of the edges didn't come out so i didn't post .the rims are higher on both front and back and it is bigger than a penny by the width of the larger rims .any ideas if this is a misstrike or a counterfit??.I remember seeing something similar on another post but cant seem to locate it.any help would be appreciated
HH

Attachments

• 190315.jpg
    190315.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 3,526
  • 190126.jpg
    190126.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 2,765
  • 190041.jpg
    190041.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 3,133

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Most likely it is an error in which the copper plachet was lost in the stamping process. Its still pretty neat and may be worth something on ebay, errors have a large number of collectors.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blurr said:
Looks like someone "whizzed" off the copper coating, leaving the zinc center exposed.

John

That's what i was thinkin,I've done a few with my dremil.

OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
im not sure what whizzed is ,but why would it be bigger than a normal penny?and the detail on all features are perfect no knicks or anything

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clearly a a bogus coin
]someone one took the time to burn off the plating
When you heat a metal, it will expand, and retract but not to its original size.
As for being steel - not a chance

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I thought I saw a post on a coin like that. They referred to it as a black penny?
I think there was something said that it may have been a casting and ended up being a bit bigger than normal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions