2004-P "Peace" Doubled Die!

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2004-P "Peace" Doubled Die!

I am going to post this week's totals for hunting later when I finish up, but just found this nickel and got excited. I wish it wasn't so beat up and dirty, but I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. I like the Westward Journey nickels so I was looking for this one specifically, but I don't check most nickel dates for varieties.

:icon_thumright: :headbang: :laughing9: :hello2: :icon_thumleft:

The first picture is a normal 2004-P Louisiana Purchase nickel just for comparison under the same lighting/camera. Just want to make that clear so people don't think I'm crazy.

Sorry for the picture quality; I'm still using the ghetto loupe+cameraphone setup.

Attachments

• 2004P-LP-normal-we-trust.jpg
    2004P-LP-normal-we-trust.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 932
  • 2004P-LP-DDO-we-trust.jpg
    2004P-LP-DDO-we-trust.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 759
  • 2004P-LP-DDO-liberty.jpg
    2004P-LP-DDO-liberty.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 757
  • 2004P-LP-DDO-date.jpg
    2004P-LP-DDO-date.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 732
  • 2004P-LP-DDO-obverse-wide.jpg
    2004P-LP-DDO-obverse-wide.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 770
  • 2004P-LP-DDO-reverse-wide.jpg
    2004P-LP-DDO-reverse-wide.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,073
Upvote 0

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: 2004-P "Peace" Doubled Die!

I am certainly no expert(if you are married you will understand). What my 60 year old eyes are seeing is a damaged coin. It looks like it has had some serious whacks or tumbles down a bad road. If I am wrong, I humbly apologize for my eyes. JP

OP
OP
captainfwiffo

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, it's a doubled die, I'm fairly certain because I've been on the lookout for this specific one. Check out the last leg of "W" and the serif on the "S" in "WE TRUST", the the bottom of "ER" in "LIBERTY" and the eye. Also, check out this page for reference; it shows the same doubling in the same places. The initial discovery specimens of this doubled die were also discovered in Naples, FL, which is just down the road from me.

But thank you for the skepticism; if we didn't have skeptics watching our backs, I'd have HUNDREDS of doubled dies by now.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other

You're the captain, I am just an old fart playing the game. Nice find. Jim

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm not an expert either, but I have seen a lot of double dies, and I have a few of my own. That coin looks nothing like a double die. Where do you see any doubling on that coin?

OP
OP
captainfwiffo

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The lettering in "WE TRUST" and "LIBERTY" shows clear doubling, as does the eye. The most obvious places are the last leg of the "W" in "WE", the serif on the "S" in "TRUST" and the bottom of "ER" in "LIBERTY". The first picture is a normal 2004-P nickel just for comparison - you must be looking at that one. Here's a side-by-side. I'm not hallucinating, or if I am, I hope I recover my memory, because I gotta find out what I took.

Attachments

• 2004P-LP-DDO-comparison.jpg
    2004P-LP-DDO-comparison.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,050

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011

Congrats Captain, I still have not found any double dies yet from CRH'ing. I just bought a redbook yesterday at my local coin show and there are some very nice, very pricey, error coins out there.... For those of you that cant see it... It is there, focus on the left side of the R, T, and U. On the eye, the doubling is most apparent on the upper eyelid. ... It is obvious doubled once your eyes pick it out.

Nice find

OP
OP
captainfwiffo

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If your anxious to find some doubles, look at the reverse of 2009 pennies; I've found several of the DDRs for that series.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other

captainfwiffo said:
If your anxious to find some doubles, look at the reverse of 2009 pennies; I've found several of the DDRs for that series.

You seem to be in this more for the errors than for the silver. What's your story? Do you seriously check every coin for the year/mint mark...and inspect those further that have an error in their series? How do you have that kind of time? Do you run your own coin shop?

OP
OP
captainfwiffo

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's a hobby? If I was just trying to acquire silver it would be a better use of my time to work overtime or get a second part time job and use that money to buy silver.

I mostly just a coin collector, not a silver bug. And I don't do that much volume, usually about 4-5 boxes a week for all denominations put together. It doesn't take up that much time. There are lots of people here that do a lot more than me.

I only thoroughly check pennies for errors and varieties. For nickels there are just a couple dates I check for known varieties, and I check for silver, Buffaloes and pre-1960, and nicer condition ones to fill my book. For dimes I just check for silver, 1996-W and 1982 no mint mark.

Why do you care why I roll hunt?

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other

captainfwiffo said:
Why do you care why I roll hunt?

You always seem to be finding errors and clips...wondering if you're doing a huge volume of if you're just eyeing the right stuff. I'm more of a silver bug because it keeps me out of the bars and off the streets. My wife is an accountant, and this is the only hobby she'd let me do, CRH for silver is profitable. As she puts it, it is like a lottery ticket that you can't lose on. I've got a shit ton (yes, that is the technical term) of money from a car accident (shattered hip) and lucky investments, so I really don't need to work. I just like the idea of face value silver.

I do a lot of dimes in a week...dunno if it would be worth my time to try to date check them all for 1996s and 1982s, then check the mintmarks of those years. You got a trick or just extra time?

OP
OP
captainfwiffo

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRHing for silver is profitable, but it pays below minimum wage. ;D

I'm not married, so maybe that's why I have time... It's not my only hobby either.

I don't invest a ton of time, I think I just have pretty good eyes and a little bit of OCD which let me pick things out quickly. I just have a system and practice makes it fast. Going through a roll of dimes or nickels, for instance, takes me less than a minute.

I dump out half a roll or so in my left hand, and let them sorta stack up. I peel the dimes off the top, looking the date and mintmark. If it's something I'm looking for or need to examine closer (e.g. 2004 nickels), I just set it aside, otherwise as I accumulate dimes in my right hand, I drop them in a coin counter tube/funnel thing. Each time I set aside a coin I pull one from a small pile I've already searched through to toss in the tube. That way I finish looking at a roll at the same time the tube fills up. When the set-aside pile gets big enough, I take the time to go over those coins in detail with a loupe.

This method lets me catch specific varieties I'm looking for as well as big naked-eye errors like clips, large die chips, etc.

Pennies take a long time, so I always a pile of those half sorted sitting around. There are so many penny varieties to look for, so you have to look at most years. I have to sort them all out by decade into 6 bins (59-69, 70-79, 80-89, 90-99, 00-11, and "too gross to bother with"). When one bin has a lot in it, I'll sort a small pile into years, then go through those one by one with a loupe. A few years only get a cursory naked-eye examination because there aren't many good varieties, so I just want to make sure I don't miss any big errors. Years with a lot of varieties or particularly good varieties get a close examination. When the bins start getting low I go out and get another box.

If the goal is just getting a 1982 no-mint-mark or a 1996-W, you're probably better off buying them, but since I'm searching through dimes anyway, I figure I might as well check.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi all!
I have to agree with the OP on this one. Nice find! The description is correct also. It is known as a "doubled die" not double die. Just another one I've got to be on the lookout for.
HH
enamel7

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

awesome finds!!! thats a definite doubled die!!! i dont see how others dont think it is...in fact its very obvious! nice find nonetheless, congrats! keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I only see a double on the S, but who knows, maybe it's easier to see with the naked eye

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread