2006 Silver Eagle 20th Anniversary Set

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering if anyone here has picked up a set of these coins. The set contains two firsts for the mint.

1) The first time the mint has issued an uncirculated silver eagle with a mint mark, not to be confused with proofs.

2) First time the mint has issued a reverse proof. The reverse proofs, for silver or gold eagles, are only available as part of the three coin set. The third coin in the set is the typical proof eagle.

Plus these coins have been designated as the 20th anniversary set of ASE.

The mintage on the silver set is 250,000 and, all in all, thats not to bad, it's still a rather low mintage.
The mintage on the gold eagles was limited to 10,000 sets. That's a history making coin in that set.
The key coins are of course the reverse proofs, which can't be purchased outside of the set. Unless of course someone breaks up a set, but the point being is that the other two coins in the set were sold separately by the mint and hence the mintage of those coins will be higher than that of the 250,000 coins for the reverse silver eagle or the 10,000 coins for the reverse gold eagle.

The prices for the silver set have been inching up and up and are now bouncing around 230 -280 for PF/MS69 graded coins and 1,200 or more for a set of PF/MS70's. The original issue price was 100.00 for silver. The gold set, with the reverse proof being the key coin with a mintage of only 10,000, is all over the place price wise. I've seen it sell for 11,000 graded at PF/MS70 and for as little as 5,500.00 ungraded or raw as it's commonly called. The mint issue price on the 3 coin gold eagle set was around 2600. Gold spot is around 650, given the set has 3 one ounce coins that wasn't way over the top price wise, it certainly seemed to pay off for those who speculated on these gold sets.

Any thoughts anyone has about these sets, I'd be glad to hear them. I was thinking this might be a nice set to pick up, tuck it away and forget about it for another 20 years.

Thanks all,
Johnny Cache Hunter

Attachments

• 2006eagle20thannivsetfront-p.jpg
    2006eagle20thannivsetfront-p.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 2006eagle20thannivsetback-p.jpg
    2006eagle20thannivsetback-p.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 231

4dcr

Mar 31, 2006
Boston
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, White's DFX & Garrett ACE 250
WOW - Really cool coins

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Yea, JC, I got the silver anniversary set from an aftermarket coin dealer. I was too late when I tried to order it from the Mint. It was sold out. But, I did manage to get three of the 2006-W BU Silver Eagles from the Mint. In fact, they just arrived today. It was a long wait. Here's one of them:

2006-W BU 001.jpg

2006-W BU 002.jpg

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
JCH
I think they are a great buy, I ordered mine as soon as they were offered. I have been buying proof eagles from the mint since they came out in 1986. If your not on it, you should get yourself on the mailing list, so you can see what is being offered.

Attachments

• 20thEagles.JPG
    20thEagles.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 186

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
JCH
Just took another look at the set, the regular proof is the second time for the W (west point) mint mark.
I will have to check but I think the last time they put out a W silver proof was in the 1996 gold/silver 10th year anniversary set. That set has gone way up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread