2008 Country Music Marathon

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Every year the utility I work for, Metro Water Services, operates a water station at the Country Music Marathon in Nashville and I haven't missed a year yet. This year, besides driving the equip,emt and supply truck, I spent a lot of my time taking photos and thought I'd share them here.

The first two photos show the volunteers setting up the cups and filling them with water for the runners. This year and last year we had a partner; The Charter School. In the first photo the only Water Services employee is the woman in the yellow rainsuit; the others are students, a teacher (in blue) and the Principal. The State Capital can be seen in the background in the 2nd photo.

01 Setting up.JPG

02 Almost ready.JPG

The third photo shows the race leaders passing the water station and the fourth shows the lead wheelchair racer:

03 Race Leaders.JPG

04 Wheelchair leader.JPG

The 5th photo shows how busy it can be:

05 Busy time.JPG

The last shows some of the volunteers taking a break and eating lunch when things slowed down.

06 Time to rest and eat lunch.JPG

It's truely amazing the speed with which the dedicated, serious runners can complete the 26 mile run. We were at mile 19 and the lead runners were there in about 90 minutes. Then there's some folks who apparently woke up in the morning and said. "Hey. I think I'll run a marathon today"!

Hutch

Nov 16, 2007
ND
Hey Wes, unless you have run a marathon yourself (I have completed six) you simply do not know the incredible amount of work the runners put in to run that race/distance. And this applies to the slow ones too and even those who simply walk the course.

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Hutch said:
Hey Wes, unless you have run a marathon yourself (I have completed six) you simply do not know the incredible amount of work the runners put in to run that race/distance. And this applies to the slow ones too and even those who simply walk the course.

You have my admiration Hutch; my knees wouldn't even come close to holding up if I walked the entire route.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
It looks like it was alot of work for everyone involved, it take a bunch of good folks to put something like this on. Great job Wes, glad you could share it with us. Nice smile there Bud! :)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice photos Wes, your Volunteer work must be satisfying for you, you do a lot of it which is just great! I too would never consider running, that is just too hard on the knees My marathons were 100 mile bike rides when I was in my 40's and 50's. A lot of personnel satisfaction completing a 100 mile bike ride in 5-6 hours. :) Now if I could only do one now, but think I am now considered "retired". :)

Don

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Looks like a wonderful group of people. Thanks for sharing those moments with us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread