2008 Mel Fisher Center Subcontractor Meeting

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2008 subcontractor meeting. Friday april 25,2008 10:00am

Got this in the snail mail box today from Taffi Fisher.The meeting will be at the north indian river county library.1001 sebastian blvd(CR-512)in sebastian florida.library number is 772-589-1355.This will be a combined meeting with the state of florida and mel fisher center.Contracts will be available by appointment.Have your vessel registration numbers and copies of your and your crews ID.

If you arent going to get a sub contract with the fishers.come anyway just to meet old and new treasure salvors.

Thanks Fisheye. I have been trying to find out for the last 3 weeks. See you there.

what all is required to become a sub? thanks in advance! b :thumbsup:

All you need is a vessel (proof is required due to some previous individuals signing up investors for their treasure hunting company without a vessel or crew). Driver's license and dive certification for your crew members, and a check for $1,000 depending on who you know. LOL

As Fisheye said, bring your vessel registration and ID's/certs for your crew, pay, and you'll have your C number. It's pretty simple to get the C#, finding the goodies is your responsibility, but Bill Moore at the museum is a great help if you are wise enough to ask the right questions.

Jason

Does anyone know how many sub-contractors they sign on each year?

As many as meet the requirements, usually about 45 or so lately, but there is really no limit that I am aware of.

45 may sign up.but the most i have ever seen out looking for treasure during the season was maybe 5.

The fishers get 80% the state gets 20% of total treasure found.Sub contractors get 50% of the 80% that the fishers get.But of the 20% that the state gets.some years they may not even take it.they are just looking for unique artifacts that they dont have stored in thier 55 gallons barrels at some U-store it place.

tedpank said:
And is it a shared find with the others or ???

Ted

Nope.

Isn't just "wonderful" that the only people who can search in the water off a beach are people with the dollars. And these Fisher people use the money to"lease" large areas of the ocean floor where something MIGHT be. I can see if they have an identified target, but hundreds of miles up and down the coast starting at the water's edge?? If that was inforce when Fisher made his find he'd have been the first one screaming bloody murder. Find it, then lease it. I guess money makes money.

You have it all wrong Dave. The Fishers do have "pinpoint" salvage leases on a number of wrecksites. They even tell you exactly where the wrecksites are (it isn't their fault that hurricanes have spread the cargos and the ships themselves around for many miles) and then they give you computerized maps showing where things have been found and haven't been found over the last 40 years, to help you in your searching.

These wrecksites were granted to them by Federal Admiralty courts. The Fisher family doesn't have to share them with anyone. But they been kind enough to grant the "average joe" a chance to realize the dream of finding sunken treasure. (and help themself in the process-it is a business after all)

Sure, the lease cost money, and the standard split in the industry is 50/50, but it is their wrecks and they have already fought all the court battles for you, interact with federal and state officials and deal with all the red tape and beauracratic BS. so you don't have to, run the conservation lab, research the recoveries and publish reports, provide the required logsheets and artifact tags, conduct an annual meeting, pay for the archaeologist and all other staff, etc etc...........it seems a pretty fair deal to me.

If you don't think this is fair, there is plenty of open coastline in Florida where they are no leases-you can always apply for your own. (however, once you see what the state, the DEP and the Army Corp. of Engineers requires, well, you may just decide to be a subcontractor for those Fisher people)

Tom

You can call the Mel Fisher Center in Sebastian and make an appointment at 772-589-9875.

However, if you were seriously interested in being a subcontractor, it would be best to try and make the meeting as both the state of Florida and the MFC provide information about the requirements and any changes, and it gives you a chance to meet your fellow salvors and get more helpful information.

Thanks, I definitely will make the meeting I just wanted to be sure I didn't show up with all my stuff and not get in cause I didn't have an appointment.

how was the meeting today? any stories to tell? thanks for your time! b :thumbsup:

I agree,great meeting,and large turn out.But no state Reps. at the meeting.
But fun to put some faces to the names,and meet some of the old timers.
Well worth the drive.Hope all have a prosperous year,and some great
finds.Good luck too all.HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back