🏆 HONORABLE MENTION 2008 NYG S. BOWL RING DUG ON MYRTLE BEACH -RETURNED! PLAYER REVEALED! NEW PICS !

narragansett

Jun 14, 2007
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
None yet
Re: 2008 NYG SUPER BOWL RING FOUND ON MYRTLE BEACH BY WV TREASURE HUNTER

What a great find and one that you will remember for awhile. That player was lucky it was you that found it and not a sports memorabilia collector/seller. The one who lost could not replace it even if he wanted to buy another one. He should have shown you more appreciation than what he did. Not that he owed you anything, but he could have done more.

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. , Expl.II & Excalibur

narragansett said:
What a great find and one that you will remember for awhile. That player was lucky it was you that found it and not a sports memorabilia collector/seller. The one who lost could not replace it even if he wanted to buy another one. He should have shown you more appreciation than what he did. Not that he owed you anything, but he could have done more.
[/quote
Hello narragansett,

I agree with you. The person that offered us the $10,000 cash was a sports memorabilia collector and a multi-millionaire. He said if he bought the ring, we could not tell anyone about it. I knew I was going to return it to the player, when I determined it belonged to him. But I agree, he could have got me a ticket to a game or bought my dinner. I know I would have fixed the person up, if I lost my ring and someone found it, and returned it to me. It scares me that some of the world has no respect for others. It seems like they are only interested in themselves, and only interested in the present, and not concerned about the future. Sad. Well, thanks for the comments and good luck detecting, my friend. Steviewhite-Fayetteville, WV

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250

Interesting story. Congrats on doing the right thing - not everyone would have returned it. However, him complying with your demand to travel to you, be videotaped, and sign a legal document -- that might, in his eyes, be your reward. If I were in his shoes and saw a news crew, I surely would have waited till they left also - especially if I were embarrassed about the whole thing to begin with. You have a rare story to tell your friends and family, though.

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Ferrous Bueller said:
Interesting story. Congrats on doing the right thing - not everyone would have returned it. However, him complying with your demand to travel to you, be videotaped, and sign a legal document -- that might, in his eyes, be your reward. If I were in his shoes and saw a news crew, I surely would have waited till they left also - especially if I were embarrassed about the whole thing to begin with. You have a rare story to tell your friends and family, though.
[/quote
Hello Ferrous Bueller, Thanks for the comments:

I agree with you to some degree, but if I lost my Superbowl ring, I don't feel that would be something to get embarassed about. Now if I lost the ring while toasted on cocaine, or if married, my girlfriend fired it in the ocean, I would be embarassed too. Maybe thats why he didn't want to talk about how he lost it. The law in SC and WV states that the person claiming the lost item has to pay all expenses to retrieve the item. It is up to the finder to decide if he wants to send it in the mail, and take a chance on getting reimbursed for the shipment, and insurance charges. Anyway, it was a real neat find, and a pleasure to give it back to the player. Good Luck with the Excalibur. I have one, and they are neat detectors. Take Care My TH Friend, Steviewhite -Fayetteville, WV]

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ferrous Bueller said:

Nice post with subtracted bloviation!

:thumbsup:

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250

chirper97 said:
Ferrous Bueller said:

Whatever ::)

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

chirper97 said:
Ferrous Bueller said:

Thanks, My TH friend. Good to hear from a West Virginia Th'er. Good Luck Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

steviewhite said:
chirper97 said:
One Extra Special Find And A Great thing you done their Steve, Glad to see a story from an area I grew up. {GB} If you are ever up the Maryland way,{Drop me a line} We would have to make time for a trip to the beach.........HH...oldebeechnut

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

OldeBeechnut said:
steviewhite said:
chirper97 said:
One Extra Special Find And A Great thing you done their Steve, Glad to see a story from an area I grew up. {GB} If you are ever up the Maryland way,{Drop me a line} We would have to make time for a trip to the beach.........HH...oldebeechnut

Hello OldeBeechnut, Good to hear from someone who grew up in this area. Were you from Gauley Bridge? Thanks for responding to my story. It was a real treat to find the ring and show it to everybody. We had a lot of fun with it. Have a sister near Frostburg. Love to go to the beach. Hoping to find my second SB ring. Take Care, my Friend, Look us up if you are in area. Steviewhite-Fayetteville, WV

taybai

May 3, 2009
Re: 2008 NYG SUPER BOWL RING FOUND ON MYRTLE BEACH BY WV TH'ER - RETURNED !! NEW PIC

My husband brought up a good point. It is very possible that this ring was insured and maybe this "rookie" had already claimed the insurance on it, so maybe that is why he didnt want any publicity?

I think it is really tacky that he didn't at least offer a token jesture of thanks. Rookie or not, that is just bad manners, especially considering his stature. Just poor raising if you ask me.

So was it Michael or Kevin? (only 2 rookies I could find that were the right age)

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Re: 2008 NYG SUPER BOWL RING FOUND ON MYRTLE BEACH BY WV TH'ER - RETURNED !! NEW PIC

taybai said:
My husband brought up a good point. It is very possible that this ring was insured and maybe this "rookie" had already claimed the insurance on it, so maybe that is why he didnt want any publicity?

I think it is really tacky that he didn't at least offer a token jesture of thanks. Rookie or not, that is just bad manners, especially considering his stature. Just poor raising if you ask me.

So was it Michael or Kevin? (only 2 rookies I could find that were the right age)
Hello taybai, You make a good point. We had also thought he may have collected the insurance, and may not have wanted to return the money. I do know that they only make one of the rings for each player, and will not make another for them, if they lose it. That makes me think that they may not be insured., but its possible. Did I tell you that the player had be released from the team? Just shortly after I found the ring, the player was released from the team. This is the second time he has been released. I talked to Chris Mara, one of the co-owners of the NYG, and he indicated that they were releasing him. He indicated that they could bring him back if someone would get hurt. They are only allowed so many players and they had to release him. When the player picked his ring up, he told me he had been looked at by 2 other teams, but had not been signed yet. He felt like he would get picked up though. You still have not guessed the right person. Have I given you the clue that he is orginally from Cincinatti, Ohio. Keep Guessing, you are on the right track. Good Luck -Steviewhite-Fayetteville, WV

Muddy Treats

Mar 28, 2009
Where The Rivers Meet, WV
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good ole' wv boy doing what's right! I love the story and i think you're just awesome doing what you did. Imagine if someone else had found it....maybe they wouldn't have been so nice. I think you should've got some football tickets atleast! Keep up the great hunt! Btw, i was born in wv too so please don't think i'm talking crap on you or something. West by god virginians are the best! :)

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Gang,
According to scout.com there were 11 rookies on the 2007-08 Superbowl team. The names and birthplaces are below:

Name Birthplace
Jay Alford Orange, NJ
Kevin Boss Philomath, OR
Ahmad Bradshaw Bluefield, VA
Zak DeOssie North Andover, MA
Michael Johnson Austin, TX
Adam Koets Santa Ana, CA
Michael Matthews Altadena, CA
Geoff Pope Detroit, MI
Aaron Ross San Antonio, TX
Steve Smith Anchorage, AK
Danny Ware Rockmart, Ga

So my guess would be that he was not born in Cincinnati, but lived there. It may have been Marlo Manningham who shows up on the 2008 roster and is from Warren Oh...Just my thoughts...

PLL

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

you passed the "goodman" test --- dad would be proud -- a good man dues what he knows is right when no one but god and him will know otherwize.

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Muddy Treats said:
Good ole' wv boy doing what's right! I love the story and i think you're just awesome doing what you did. Imagine if someone else had found it....maybe they wouldn't have been so nice. I think you should've got some football tickets atleast! Keep up the great hunt! Btw, i was born in wv too so please don't think i'm talking crap on you or something. West by god virginians are the best! :)
Hello Muddy Treats, Thanks for the kind words. Some tickets would have been nice, but I'm not too much into pro ball, but like the college ball, especially WVU & Marshall. Many people say I should have kept the ring or sold it to the person that offered the 10K, but it wasn't meant to be. Just like my story says, The Lord and my Pa would want me to return it to the player. I'm proud of WV. Many people are coming here for the peace and serenity, not found in the big cities. Thanks again and if in the state, look us up. I'm about 3 miles south of the New River Gorge Bridge. Good Huntin, my friend. Steviewhite-Fayetteville, WV

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

pegleglooker said:
Hey Gang,
According to scout.com there were 11 rookies on the 2007-08 Superbowl team. The names and birthplaces are below:

Name Birthplace
Jay Alford Orange, NJ
Kevin Boss Philomath, OR
Ahmad Bradshaw Bluefield, VA
Zak DeOssie North Andover, MA
Michael Johnson Austin, TX
Adam Koets Santa Ana, CA
Michael Matthews Altadena, CA
Geoff Pope Detroit, MI
Aaron Ross San Antonio, TX
Steve Smith Anchorage, AK
Danny Ware Rockmart, Ga

So my guess would be that he was not born in Cincinnati, but lived there. It may have been Marlo Manningham who shows up on the 2008 roster and is from Warren Oh...Just my thoughts...

PLL
Hello Pegleglooker, You missed one rookie. The main one. You're right, he may have just lived in Cincinnati. His stats say that he is from Cincinnati. He played his high school football in Cincinnati. Another clue, he played his college ball in So. Missouri. As you may have read, he was released and then brought back in time to get the SBR, but was released again after receiving the ring. I've heard that many rookies are moved around quite a bit before they actually get a permanent job. Another clue, he did not attend the SB party at TIffanys, when the rings were given out. I believe I would have went to that party. Looked like a lot of fun on TV. If you dig deep, you will run him down. Good Luck, my TH friend, Steviewhite-Fayetteville, WV

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

ivan salis said:
you passed the "goodman" test --- dad would be proud -- a good man dues what he knows is right when no one but god and him will know otherwize.
Hello Ivan Salis, Glad I passed the test. I know my Pa is proud. God I miss him. Losing my Pa has changed my whole life. My ma sure has some rough days without my Pa. I try to keep her busy and help her have hope, that someday we will see my Pa again, in a better place. We are so thankful we got to have him as long as we did. He lived a nice happy long life. Most people don't have it that good. Well, take care and Good Hunting, my TH friend. Steviewhite-Fayetteville, WV

Muddy Treats

Mar 28, 2009
Where The Rivers Meet, WV
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

steviewhite said:
Muddy Treats said:
Hello Muddy Treats, Thanks for the kind words. Some tickets would have been nice, but I'm not too much into pro ball, but like the college ball, especially WVU & Marshall. Many people say I should have kept the ring or sold it to the person that offered the 10K, but it wasn't meant to be. Just like my story says, The Lord and my Pa would want me to return it to the player. I'm proud of WV. Many people are coming here for the peace and serenity, not found in the big cities. Thanks again and if in the state, look us up. I'm about 3 miles south of the New River Gorge Bridge. Good Huntin, my friend. Steviewhite-Fayetteville, WV

I'm in the state almost daily. I live in Belpre, Ohio which is right across the ohio river from parkersburg, wv (where i was born). Thanks for the invite! I bet there are some crazy places in new river to hunt..or have you hunted them all out? ;) haha just kidding. Most people would've kept it or sold it for the right price. What you did will get you great karma points!
Marshall is a great team and i feel sorry for them because they are so hated by many mountaineer fans. tsk tsk. I love the buckeyes! I know you must hate me now. :(

OP
OP
steviewhite

steviewhite

Aug 25, 2008
West Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Muddy Treats said:
steviewhite said:
Muddy Treats said:

I'm in the state almost daily. I live in Belpre, Ohio which is right across the ohio river from parkersburg, wv (where i was born). Thanks for the invite! I bet there are some crazy places in new river to hunt..or have you hunted them all out? ;) haha just kidding. Most people would've kept it or sold it for the right price. What you did will get you great karma points!
Marshall is a great team and i feel sorry for them because they are so hated by many mountaineer fans. tsk tsk. I love the buckeyes! I know you must hate me now. :(
Hello Muddy Treats, The Buckeyes always seem to have a good team. Nice School. Yes, I have been to Belpre, Ohio before. My ma has a distant cousin in Parkersburg named Jeanne Burdette who we email quite regularly. She is into geneology, and sends my ma many old pictures of their family.
The Marshall vs WVU games are fun to watch. They are a major rival. I don't watch too much sports anymore since my pa passed. He loved to watch Marshall and WVU, and I would watch the games with him. They don't seem to be fun anymore, since he is not there to watch with me. I will spend more time treasure hunting when I retire soon. I think I will travel around to many different beaches to hunt. Mix it up a little. Well, take care, my friend, and hope to hear from you. Good Hunting - Steviewhite - Fayetteville, WV

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions