Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
From this forum you're going to get both sides of "the answer" on NIFC halves.

I'm one of the ones who saves them. Given their low mintages, since '02, I believe they do/will command a premium. IMHO

Interesting about the '09, I didn't find my first one until November (and it was a proof). I didn't find and "P" or "D"s until this month.

BTW, through November, the Mint had only made 1.9M of either the "P" or "D".

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
And here is the other half... They won't ever command a premium (in your lifetime). The supply despite the low mintage exceeds demand. The supply consists of mint rolls and bags that will always be superior to the ones found in circulation. Save some for your set, but don't tie up your funds holding out for a brighter day (in this lifetime).

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
Really there are three sides..

The other thought is you can send them all to me and ill hold on to them then if they go up ill let you know and that way you won't have to wonder!

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I'm guessing but I've probably found 50-100 2009's in the past 2 weeks. I toss them all back

Rich

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It cost only face value to keep them....
I don't think it will take a lifetime for them
to be worth more than face. They have low
mintages, like the 1987 which is worth
more than face.
Someday if they are not worth more than face,
cash them in. You didn't lose anything, it's still money.
Just my thoughts....
Joe

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
SnakemanBill said:
Picked up a Fed box today and it only had three silver halves, a Benjie and two 40%ers. Also found one of those goldplated bicentennial halves, a 1983 proof and two 2009p halves. I've not found any newer that 2005 before today. Has anyone else found any? Are they worth anything or should I buy my morning coffee with them?

Oh yeah have found in last couple weeks alot of 09's as well as other NIFC's found 8 rolls today of them one full roll of 09's in the bunch. I just dump them, have found no one who want$ them. Coffee for sure.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they will increase in value simply because there is an id iot in my area that carves an "X" into the obverse of every nifc he finds, then dumps them back.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
enamel7 said:
I think they will increase in value simply because there is an id iot in my area that carves an "X" into the obverse of every nifc he finds, then dumps them back.

I get them with a single scratch across the front. Must be related to your guy.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Ah but there is truly a third side and I would like to say it's the voice of reason. For example: Today I asked for halves at one of my many frequent bank stops and they happen to have $460 worth. Well they turned out to be 46 rolls of Bicentennial Halves in original machine wrapped rolls. These baby's were mint condition. But alas does anyone want them?.... Hell no! they made millions of them.

The point here is this. In 1976 (33 years ago) I was in high school and had a part time job earning $40 a week, so for me your looking at 11 weeks pay. What could $460 buy back then. Well it could probably pay the mortgage, buy a whole lot of grocery's. Does any one even know what the price of a gallon of gas was back then? I'll guess $0.45. So hoarding those particular coins actually ended up costing, this person who turned them in, money. If they had invested that money in say Walmart or well some other investment they would be holding a lot more cash than $460. Let's just say inflation has caused those coins to lose at least 80% of their original value. Given inflation and all I vote for keep a pair and dump the rest.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions