2010 Goal SLQ. Done. Possible 1916 date. Or 1917. Arrrgggggg

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
So Monday I finally broke down and bought a Minelab Explorer SE Pro and I'm anxiously waiting for it to arrive to find all that deep silver. Having some time to kill this afternoon I headed out to a new sight that seems to have potential, but have only found junk on my previous 2 trips.

Taking my first swing I get a quarter reading on my trusty old, failing, soon to be backup Whites Prism II. This property being overgrown I clear away the grass with my digger or hand before digging. In this case it was a bad mistake. When I moved the dirt aside there was this SLQ sitting right on top with the evidence of my scraping the reverse in plain sight. >:( >:(
But I was still ecstatic. I have not found one of these yet and it is my goal every time I go to one of my non-colonial, early 20th century sites. Still did the happy dance (helps to shake the mosquito's too :icon_thumleft: )

Now when I got home and looked her up in the book, I got a bit of a shock. No stars below eagle. 1916 -1917. 1916 being the rare one was getting more exited. No mint mark so it may still be 1916.

But as so many of these are the date is just about gone. Ahhhhhh. I've put a closeup picture of the date area. Anyone see a 6. Would be nice if I could pay for the minelab before I even receive it but I'm not holding out hope.

Would a grading company go to the trouble of trying to find a date on this one or just take a quick look and not grade/date it?

Well thanks for looking and I'm open to any opinions or guesses.

EDIT: After looking at the comparison sites below I'm pretty sure its 1917. Still happy I found one :icon_thumleft:

Happy Hunting
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_5653.JPG
    IMG_5653.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_5654.JPG
    IMG_5654.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_5655.JPG
    IMG_5655.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I printed out a page or two, possibly from this site, that showed the difference between a 1916 and 1917 Type I SLQ. That was a few years ago; maybe someone else remembers and can provide the link.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is 3 giveaways that make this a 1917:
1) On, your close head shot, the head does not touch the border like the 1916
2) Again, on the close head shot, the hair flip on the left side of the head is divided into two separate parts, the 1916 only has one
3) On the whole coin shot, the toes on the right are more defined than on the 1916. On the 1916, only the big toe is defined.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good find, I would say it's a 17 myself. Here are some close ups of the very first
SLQ that I ever found and it was a 17 series 1.

Attachments

• slqcloseup1.jpg
    slqcloseup1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 410
  • slqcloseup2.jpg
    slqcloseup2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 397
OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Giant056 said:
Very good find, I would say it's a 17 myself. Here are some close ups of the very first
SLQ that I ever found and it was a 17 series 1.

Thanks Giant056. That one is fine with a nice date.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice SLQ :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Wasn't there also something about the pattern of "dots and dashes" around the perimeter of the obverse?

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vote a 17 as her gown goes all the way to the floor, instead of mid-ankle on the 16. Still a great find. I can remember spending these things....they were still in circulation when I was a kid......if I had only known. Of course, when I was 17, Reno and Vegas were still using silver dollars in their slot machines.......I still have an 1881 souvenier I kept from a trip through Reno.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup: 16 or 17...boy you all sure know your silver. That's what I like about the forum...if ya don't know, just ask.

Thanks for the pics and let us know how the new detector works out

HH

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good to see you were able to take the SLQ off your want list. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
halfdime said:
Wasn't there also something about the pattern of "dots and dashes" around the perimeter of the obverse?

According to the websites the 16 has two weak dots and a weak dash above liberty's head that is not separated from her head, The 17 has two strong dots on each side and a strong dash above liberty's head that is clearly separated from her head.

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
3RINGER said:
:thumbsup: 16 or 17...boy you all sure know your silver. That's what I like about the forum...if ya don't know, just ask.

Thanks for the pics and let us know how the new detector works out

HH

Thanks 3ringer, Kind of funny I found this on the day my Explorer is in the UPS truck. I think my Whites machine is getting jealous :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions