2012 collection additions

Mooch

Dec 14, 2008
I haven't posted on this board for a couple of years and this is the first time I've even looked at the site for over a year. I got all my kids to bed early tonight so I thought I would post all of my additions to the collection in 2012. I never found any of them but have history on most of them back to the finder. If you have any questions let me know. Thanks, Mooch

Attachments

• IMG_20130124_123553.jpg
    IMG_20130124_123553.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Welcome back Mooch, I've been away for a while too, and just recently resurfaced here. You have done very well, and probably dropped a bundle. Those are some amazing relics.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First question.........the spud? Whats the info on that one.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Mooch - welcome back. Great pieces there. The piece in the bottom left, is that out of Marshall Co KY?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mooch nice additions. The one axe with the tag looks familiar like maybe I have seen it in a collection down south. All very nice. Welcome back. Interesting stories in all of that I am sure. Thanks for sharing.
TnMtns

OP
OP
M

Mooch

Dec 14, 2008
The spud is from Madison Co, IL and is known as the Grove Spud. It was found near Horseshoe lake in the 50's and was originally collected by George Grove of Wood River, IL. There is a cast of it on display at Cahokia Mounds. The Kaolin adze was found in Marshal Co, Ky. I don't have papers on any of them, I never liked papers and have never had a need for them. Any other questions just ask. Mooch

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Mooch....I already see some favorites. Like the multiple fluted trophy axe, the quartz hourglass and the platform pipe. The bird pipe is that Iroquois Indian?

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Mooch nice additions. The one axe with the tag looks familiar like maybe I have seen it in a collection down south. All very nice. Welcome back. Interesting stories in all of that I am sure. Thanks for sharing.
TnMtns

TN Mountains,

You are thinking of the much reveared Southern Raised Groove. I don't believe this is the case with the axe you questioned. I did notice the sticker on this axe is pre Dennison Gummed, they are rare and usually seen on old porcelain and old artifacts. They quit producing these single red border labels prior to 1930. Try to find these on Ebay and you won't. This alone verifies authenticity. There I gave a nice piece of info. Be aware of the double red border stickers stained with tea!!!

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Well done Mooch....I already see some favorites. Like the multiple fluted trophy axe, the quartz hourglass and the platform pipe. The bird pipe is that Iroquois Indian?

Get-The-Point,

Let me correct you. The fluted axe is NOT a trophy axe and the bird pipe you mentioned is commonly distinguished as a Southern Great Pipe found 1,000 miles south of New York State where the Iroquois lived. A friendly heads up.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
TN Mountains,

You are thinking of the much reveared Southern Raised Groove. I don't believe this is the case with the axe you questioned. I did notice the sticker on this axe is pre Dennison Gummed, they are rare and usually seen on old porcelain and old artifacts. They quit producing these single red border labels prior to 1930. Try to find these on Ebay and you won't. This alone verifies authenticity. There I gave a nice piece of info. Be aware of the double red border stickers stained with tea!!!

Lost lake, that is a hard call. Looks kind of like a raised ridge, but it is beveled looking. The whole stone is ground down on a raised ridge. All but the ridge. I have one that is over 8 inches in length and near 6 inches wide, in its widest part.

image-700611929.jpg

Probably my favorite find.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Lost lake, that is a hard call. Looks kind of like a raised ridge, but it is beveled looking. The whole stone is ground down on a raised ridge. All but the ridge. I have one that is over 8 inches in length and near 6 inches wide, in its widest part.

View attachment 772097

Probably my favorite find.

Hi there,

That is a nice find! The Southern Raised Groove Axe is something I would like to purchase if I can find one. They are extremely rare and only found in SW corner of North Carolina, NW corner of South Carolina East sections of Tennessee and occasionally in extreme SE Kentucky. What distiguishes the Southern Raised Groove are the pronounced ridges of the groove and the pole end is never tapered to a point like the one in question. Southern Raised Grooves are usually very lengthy but never impress on weight. Please show me the "flat" side. Thanks!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us leave personal attacks from everyone off this forum and concentrate on the specifics of this forum.

Mooch. I was curious if anything was ex-Stroud collection.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Hi there,

That is a nice find! The Southern Raised Groove Axe is something I would like to purchase if I can find one. They are extremely rare and only found in SW corner of North Carolina, NW corner of South Carolina East sections of Tennessee and occasionally in extreme SE Kentucky. What distiguishes the Southern Raised Groove are the pronounced ridges of the groove and the pole end is never tapered to a point like the one in question. Southern Raised Grooves are usually very lengthy but never impress on weight. Please show me the "flat" side. Thanks!

No problem!

image-1677379775.jpg

image-1724063292.jpg

image-3512015630.jpg

I have seen two southern raised ridge axes from my county. Mine is the largest I have ever seen. I live in north central NC. I found thus about 3 miles from the VA. Line. South Boston VA. My first grooved find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread