Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been debating if I should order the new 2-piece ASE proof set. It has a regular proof and a reverse proof coin. The $149 price tag plus shipping really seems way, way over-priced. Right now the Mint says just over 121,000 have been ordered with 23 more days to go.

I guess my question is do you think the secondary market price will be cheaper than the initial offering price from the mint?

Here's a link if you haven't seen it. U.S. Mint Online Product Catalog

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Look at the past history of US Mint products containing the Reverse Proof. The first time was the 20th Anniv. ASE set. The second was the 25th Anniv. ASE set. In both cases the secondary market is higher than the issue price. Granted the mentioned products had restricted mintages which both sold out.

The San Fran Anniv. Set will be minted to order based on the order window. This will suppress the hype on the secondary market, but the value should not fall below the issue price. This set will have two proofs - standard and reverse. As a general rule of thumb, proofs maintain their value on the secondary market. I wouldn't hesitate to buy at the mint issue price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread