2014 hardstone

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few of my best hard stone tools found last year.I have started putting a light coat of vegetable oil on them.I like the way they look....mjm IMG_20150126_114107_124.jpg

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Great examples. You live in a great area if you like gouges and adzes.

One piece of advice, and it's something Florida collectors learned the hard way over decades of use, switch to plain colorless, odorless, clear mineral oil. Vegetable oils (Corn, Soy, Olive, etc.) will evaporate over time and leave a very thin layer of sticky gunk on the surface and in every crack/crevice/pit/scratch etc. It's not a big deal and won't damage the relic, but clear mineral oil will evaporate over time and not leave the gunk. It's available at almost any pharmacy and pretty cheap.

You see some of the the old Florida points that people soaked/wiped with corn oil/butter/lard, and they almost look yellowed and varnished, and it feels like they've been coated in wax.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice! I will get some mineral oil.Most of my stuff has been submerged for long periods of time.By putting on a coating of oil it makes work done on the artifact or different characteristics of the stone more apparent...mjm

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pieces and yes mineral oil works better. You can soak them in it for a couple of days and it will stay nice for a couple of weeks.

weasel1000

Oct 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
cool. Is oil a typical thing that people do? I have a nice collection, but i haven't heard of oiling them. I'm really liking that i haven't seen 4 people jump on you to declare that what you've got is "just rocks." for me, i can see that they are NOT just rocks. i only wish there was something in the photo to show scale. Thanks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool. Is oil a typical thing that people do? I have a nice collection, but i haven't heard of oiling them. I'm really liking that i haven't seen 4 people jump on you to declare that what you've got is "just rocks." for me, i can see that they are NOT just rocks. i only wish there was something in the photo to show scale. Thanks.
These are more than rocks, they are artifacts, sometimes some members new to artifact hunting post just rocks because they don't know the difference, just a rock is just a rock..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread