2015 and 2016 BU cents

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
anyone got a BU roll of each? If you do can you stack them in front of a roller and take a picture?
why?
I was at work yesterday wrapping 2015 Mint cents, I was finishing up 4k in 2015 when i started another bin that had 4k of 2016 cents... well when i made a box with mixed rolls of 15/16s, i swear i thought a machine was making rolls, because the rolls were all uneven. I took two 2016 rolls and counted them one by one, but they were right, 50 coins each... Im starting to think the US mint is reducing the metal content in cents, ie making them thinner. a 2015 roll looks like 2 cents taller than a 2016 roll...

Upvote 0

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I have two 2014 BU rolls of cents, 1 2015 BU roll of cents and two 2016 BU rolls of cents. They're all in string and son rolls. Ill go look at them all side by side in a little while and come back with results

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
2014 (left) 2015 (middle) and 2016 (right) it seems the 2015 is taller than the 2014, but the 16' are definitely about 2 coins shorter than the 2015.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
20160520_173302.jpg

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to put one of each on the scale-----not sure that I have one of each.:icon_scratch: The entire roll, I guess the wraps weigh the same.
Marvin

Last edited:

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard it many times that it costs the mint more to make a cent than what it's actually worth. Maybe this is their solution.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you count the coins in the 2015 rolls?
no, because if one of them was wrapping with extra coin, it would be obvious. I run 3 machines, only started noticing the short looking rolls when i added some 2016 pennies into one machine that was running low...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone measured the individual thicknesses of the coins with calipers?

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone got a BU roll of each? If you do can you stack them in front of a roller and take a picture?
why?
I was at work yesterday wrapping 2015 Mint cents, I was finishing up 4k in 2015 when i started another bin that had 4k of 2016 cents... well when i made a box with mixed rolls of 15/16s, i swear i thought a machine was making rolls, because the rolls were all uneven. I took two 2016 rolls and counted them one by one, but they were right, 50 coins each... Im starting to think the US mint is reducing the metal content in cents, ie making them thinner. a 2015 roll looks like 2 cents taller than a 2016 roll...

:coffee2: It wouldn't surprise me as the govt talks about it costs more than 1 cent to make a 1 cent coin. By cutting down the amount of metal in the cent coin would reduce the cost of making the 1 cent coin. However I think amount of the metal in a coin is determined by law. I wonder if congress passed a law doing that.

On another matter, do the rolling machines have a magnet in them to catch steel coins before they get rolled? The reason I ask is 2 months ago, I got 4 of the 50 centavo Ecuadoran steel coins. 3 of them were in the same box. It's bad enough getting 1 in a box but 3 were a real bummer.

HH All
Gary

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:coffee2: It wouldn't surprise me as the govt talks about it costs more than 1 cent to make a 1 cent coin. By cutting down the amount of metal in the cent coin would reduce the cost of making the 1 cent coin. However I think amount of the metal in a coin is determined by law. I wonder if congress passed a law doing that.

On another matter, do the rolling machines have a magnet in them to catch steel coins before they get rolled? The reason I ask is 2 months ago, I got 4 of the 50 centavo Ecuadoran steel coins. 3 of them were in the same box. It's bad enough getting 1 in a box but 3 were a real bummer.

HH All
Gary

No the machines does not have magnets. The only thing the machines prevent from being rolled are coins that is larger/smaller than denomination being rolled. So if a coin is the same size as a penny, dime, nickel or quarter it will get rolled. If i spot the obvious forender, i take the roll out and remove the coin. how ever lately, Ive been lazy about removing the Canadian nickels and pennies when I see them. Garda does process some coins through coin sorters, but Im not sure if they have magnets or not.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear all the time about the "costs more to make a cent than Its worth story" BUT... Have we forgotten how much PROFIT is created out of thin air by making bills? A $100 bill is printed for next to nothing. At the most all cent production does is make a very very VERY small impact on the gains recieved from printing all denominations of bills. Not to mention the "money" created from the other base metal coins whos metal value is nowhere near face value. (Namely "gold" dollars and quarters)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread