2019 Relics

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
I had a pretty good year of picking things up last year. I tried to focus on getting well documented pieces, or things directly from the finders which is my preferred route. I also really enjoy relics with good color. However, it's imperative to be especially careful collecting these type items as there are a far greater number of reproductions than authentic ones out there. A couple of these pieces are considered the top pieces of their type known, including Holland point in the middle which measures around 6-1/2" long.

Hippy

Attachments

• 2019 Acquisitions.jpg
    2019 Acquisitions.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 159
Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow there’s some amazing artifacts in there ... I could look at those all day [emoji51]
You gotta give us some close ups of a few of them ... the red/pink Clovis is killer , what’s the round item in the middle a discoidal? Also that a banner stone ? Your killing me with that teaser of a picture

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Dang, that's a great assemblage Hippy!!

That big axe will fit in nicely with the rest of your axes!!

Mt Pleasant is coming up, are you and or Kenny gonna make it?

OP
OP
H

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Dang, that's a great assemblage Hippy!!

That big axe will fit in nicely with the rest of your axes!!

Mt Pleasant is coming up, are you and or Kenny gonna make it?

Yep, i'm planning on making the trip. Are you going to make it down to the warm country? :laughing7:

OP
OP
H

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Wow there’s some amazing artifacts in there ... I could look at those all day [emoji51]
You gotta give us some close ups of a few of them ... the red/pink Clovis is killer , what’s the round item in the middle a discoidal? Also that a banner stone ? Your killing me with that teaser of a picture

I have individual pics of most of them too. If there's something you want to see, let me know.

The red piece is what a local archaeologist calls an Upper Valley Dalton. They are very distinct to Northern Illinois, Southern Wisconsin, and Northeast Iowa. They are distinct due to the fact that they are often heat treated. This type would represent some of the earliest heat treating seen in this area. Also, the are mostly only made of 2 material types, Prairie Du Chien Chert and Galena Chert. This one is the later, heat treated Galena Chert.

The round piece is a fine Cahokia style discoidal found in Illinois. Many discoidals have banding of some form or another. I like this one because it's so contrasting from the Matrix.

The banner is a saddleback style that was found in Louisa County, Iowa by David Boysen around 2010 (he couldn't remember the exact year). I acquired it last year after his father passed and they decided to part with their collection.

Thanks,
Hippy

IMG_E9599.JPG

DSC_0402.JPG

OP
OP
H

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Thanks for the comments all. It was a fun year of collecting. I'm off to a good start to this year as well! :headbang:

I haven't been able to get out and look as much as I'd like due to family commitments, but I still like acquiring them when I can.

Hippy

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Yep, i'm planning on making the trip. Are you going to make it down to the warm country? :laughing7:

I was planning on going, but the forecast is predicting snow and wind for Friday and Saturday here, so I am re-thinking it.
seems like that is often a bad weekend weather wise for making that show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread