Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first hunt of the New Year went quite well. I took my time wandering through a piece of woods that has produced some older items. Best find of the day was a 1743 George II Irish Half Penny. I'm thankful that there was actually some detail underneath 200+ years of grime. The coin had a VDI of "88" using a modified Deus II Fast program. It weighs 7.4 grams and is about 28 mm in diameter.

03.jpg
04.jpg
02.jpg
01.jpg

Not sure of the origin of the pin in the center of the last picture. In the middle of the star is the number "3". I'm guessing its Boy Scouts related...
Thanks for looking, and Happy New Year everyone!

Upvote 25

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first hunt of the New Year went quite well. I took my time wandering through a piece of woods that has produced some older items. Best find of the day was a 1743 George II Irish Half Penny. I'm thankful that there was actually some detail underneath 200+ years of grime. The coin had a VDI of "88" using a modified Deus II Fast program. It weighs 7.4 grams and is about 28 mm in diameter.

View attachment 2123835 View attachment 2123836 View attachment 2123837 View attachment 2123838

Not sure of the origin of the pin in the center of the last picture. In the middle of the star is the number "3". I'm guessing its Boy Scouts related...
Congratulations on the old copper. You are right about the star pin with a 3 in it. It is a year pin from scouts. They were given out to show how long you were a scout and you got a new one each year. There was a plastic circular backing and the color represented what type of scout you were. It has been a while since we used them, but I’m pretty sure the yellow back was for Cub scouts and green was for Boy Scouts but I forget which color was for explorer Scouts.

Good luck, stay safe and keep swingin.

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the old copper. You are right about the star pin with a 3 in it. It is a year pin from scouts. They were given out to show how long you were a scout and you got a new one each year. There was a plastic circular backing and the color represented what type of scout you were. It has been a while since we used them, but I’m pretty sure the yellow back was for Cub scouts and green was for Boy Scouts but I forget which color was for explorer Scouts.

Good luck, stay safe and keep swingin.
Thanks for the ID on the pin! The backing is green so the owner must have been a boy scout..

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a nice early copper, well dug.
That's the first time I've seen a number pin as that, kind of cool.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to start the year. I see a fair number of George II English coppers posted on this forum, including a few of my own. However, I don’t often see George II Irish coppers. Nice find. Congrats.

Last edited:

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2

View attachment 2123835 View attachment 2123836 View attachment 2123837 View attachment 2123838

Awesome finds, and you also use the torch on the side technique for pictures to get the smaller details

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great copper. Congrats

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent finds!!!! I rarely see the KGII Hybernia, the ones we see mostly in central Massachusetts are KGl’s or KGlll, nice tectin’

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Beautiful! You did GREAT!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And yet ANOTHER incredible coin found here in Mass- well done my friend!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread