Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting in February, I can't believe it! I have some good friends down the road who got married last summer, and now have a baby on the way. Last night Amy called me and said her hubby Brad had been working on a car in the garage, washed his hands, and was shaking the water off as he exited the garage. Ting! The ring flew off, bounced off the garage wall and was gone into the snow.

I have never detected in snow before, and I have to say that even though it's fairly cold outside (-29C, -20F), the AT Pro and Propointer held up very well, despite the headphone cable being very stiff. Thankfully the snow in their backyard is only a foot or so deep, I dialled back the sensitivity thinking the ring shouldn't be too deep. Around the metal garage door I got so much chatter, especially from the door itself. I did sort of hear something good in the mix, but it was nearly pointless. SO I decided to just plunge into the snow with the pinpointer and bam, 4 inches deep there was his white gold wedding band.

My six yr old daughter came to assist me, and was happy to see the ring too. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424306843.508395.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424306863.998066.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424306890.061051.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424306918.071742.jpg This is only my second gold ring ever, and my first ring return! Now I'm all jacked up to detect...April can't come soon enough!

I'm the bearded guy on the left btw.

Upvote 9

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to do the same thing about a month ago. But my buddy was cutting down some trees before a snow storm and lost his ring and didn't notice it was gone until he was done for the day. He cut down trees in a few different spots. Took me 30 min total but i got it on the 3rd spot. Nice job.

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
Nice recovery !!!!! BBrrrrrrrrrrrr.......That gent was heading for the ole dog house but you saved him !!!! did I say BBBRRRRRRRRRRR ...

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Awesome job!
It's the closest thing to real detecting we can do in these conditions this time of year. You're one of the good guys!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fingers burning and icicles on the moustache, but finding that ring and simply doing some detecting warmed my soul lol!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent recovery and return!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well you are the last person id EVER expect to be making a todays find post in February lol all the way up there in the frozen tundra!
congrats on a good deed!!

Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job.
Good thing you found it quite quick, I know batteries loose their umph pretty quick in those temps.
Your buddy without a hat must be tough, I guess without any wind it wouldn't be too bad.

Yeah, come on April.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job.
Good thing you found it quite quick, I know batteries loose their umph pretty quick in those temps.
Your buddy without a hat must be tough, I guess without any wind it wouldn't be too bad.

Yeah, come on April.

I was out there for roughly an hour. The propointer seemed to have a dying battery, but hey I haven't used it since November. Same battery, and it was probably half dead when I put it away for the winter.

Brad had just arrived home and jumped out of his truck, so he was all warm lol. And you're right about the wind, it's much better without the damn wind!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the recovery and return.

I have an ATV key buried in the snow, hint, hint. I'm thinking maybe late March early April I'll have a look for it, but not in this weather.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never detected in snow before, and I have to say that even though it's fairly cold outside (-29C, -20F), the AT Pro and Propointer held up very well, despite the headphone cable being very stiff.

Excellent help to your neighbor! That's a really happy ending!

About the headphone cable? I've actually spoken to Garrett about that problem. The outside shielding is of a mix that just does NOT work for even moderately cold temps. It not only loses it's flexibility, it actually starts to crack open if bent!! I think they have the mixture of rubber/plastic wrong. Hopefully they'll act on it.

Anyway, great story and ending!
WTG!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent help to your neighbor! That's a really happy ending!

About the headphone cable? I've actually spoken to Garrett about that problem. The outside shielding is of a mix that just does NOT work for even moderately cold temps. It not only loses it's flexibility, it actually starts to crack open if bent!! I think they have the mixture of rubber/plastic wrong. Hopefully they'll act on it.

Anyway, great story and ending!
WTG!

Yes I've noticed that cable stiffens up even with a little cold. Hopefully they do fix it! I'd like to get another ATPro, the one I have is first generation. It doesn't even have cam locks.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I've noticed that cable stiffens up even with a little cold. Hopefully they do fix it! I'd like to get another ATPro, the one I have is first generation. It doesn't even have cam locks.

Hey J. Funny I swapped my center shaft bact to the od version, as I break mine down often for back pack purposes, it's quicker, the tiny bit of wobble doesn't bother me, and a few grams lighter means a lot to me. With a bad snapping cracking shoulder every ounce or a few grams matters to me. I guess if you want a back-up machine it's fine to get another whole unit, but seems costly for just a center shaft ?

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job and congrats! You might consider detecting some of the sledding hills if you have any around. HH, Mike

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike,

Glad you re still around....hope youre still making some killer finds.

Regards + HH

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions