22 Wheats, 3 IHP, 1924 Canadian Penny - Public Park Hunt.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a park (yesterday) near by that was aquired by the City in the late 30's. I've hunted Jewelry there before and chanced upon a buffalo nickle spill, so I knew old coins still were present. Today started out as Jewelry hunting up near the open areas/water features, but I eventually decided to hunt a spring cellar hole in the wooded part of the park. Immediately around the cellar was clean and so I worked my way out following the lay of the land and what I suspected was a wide trail now abandoned.

Modern trash was very minimal.

The first coin found was a 1924 Canadian Penny. 30 yards down the "trail" wheats began popping out of the ground left and right. Followed by an Indian Head Penny 1902. Followed by more toasted pennies. Not one silver and not one nickel...go figure. Ran out of time and only hit this area for 40 minutes before I had to leave. Here is the take.

20161026_171153.jpg
grp2.jpg

Any ideas on the bell? Looks similar to a beehive and it has a bit of broken plastic at the top...so that seems strange.

The "knife handle" item seems to be pewter of something. Very heavy.

The Mickey Mouse pocket watch is my first complete unit. Genuine China movement! LOL!

And that is the smallest Zippo I've ever found!

Will be headed back today with many hours to spare! There must be some buffalo nickles there!

Thanks for peeking.

Upvote 13

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-snip-.....Will be headed back today with many hours to spare! There must be some buffalo nickles there!

Thanks for peeking.

Hey! I resemble that remark! ;)

Yep, that's right, just cuz I find clad on my clad-fests, it doesn't mean I'm only looking for them. ;)
The park I went to has potential to find old. The trouble was that the majority of the clads I found were anywhere from
5 - 8 inches deep!!! :BangHead: Makes me think that the older stuff is plenty deep! :dontknow: Maybe....too deep for my "dainty"
machine. ;) LOL

Good hunt! Lots of whole wheat toasts and semi-toasts! Strange bell!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nd with just a 40 minute hunt in that area ,you certainly are a fast digger.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on all those coppers. Those George V pennies are not easily found!

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
A nd with just a 40 minute hunt in that area ,you certainly are a fast digger.

One, I'm a jewelry hunter, primarily. You have to move fast in that game, imo.

More importantly, our member Crusader recently inspired me to really put the fire in my :censored: It's something I've been working on - 30 second or less recovery times. Many recoveries took less than 20 seconds.

The whole hunt was actually longer than 40 minutes...to be clear.

From the time I found the first coin to the last...40 minutes. Sloppy fast digging in the woods. Nothing over 6 inches.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I count 37 targets in your pictures. Of course there was probably some trash targets.
That's an outstanding ratio of approximately one target every 60 seconds. Yep , you have located a really hot spot.
Congratulations

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone.

Was back there today with the Deus again. Shot some video of the area. 18khz, then 4khz, and then 8khz...and 18khz again for good measure. Spent over 3 hours pounding this 90'x90' area. I slowed down alot and expanded it from the trail on each side. It is in fact an abandoned section of trail leading uphill to the homes along the back edge of the park, as I found railroad ties that were 90% covered in soil and forrest detritus. They stairstepped leading up the ravine/creek.

Today I found three more wheats, a few clad dimes, one clad nickel, copper memorials, a single clad quarter at 6"...that got my hopes up! Also found a good sized pocket knife, and everything above foil....which ended up being only foil and a few small scraps of tin in the hot spot. Everything else was iron nails....I dug some to see. Snapped my knife and had to end it early. Not one target below 6". The trail is where the additional wheat coins were found. The more I strayed side to side the more modern the finds and the less the iron.

I looked at my squirrle holes from yesterday....lol. I peppered the area pretty good. 30' area at the bottom of the trail and mostly from the immediate 6' on either side.

I just got home. Finds picture to follow.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
JUST TO BE CLEAR I dug all the coins from one 30' area of the trail yesterday. I dug them in 40 minutes. All those finds, the lighter, the watch, etc, they came from other areas off the side of the trail earlier in the hunt just like the necklace.

Here is the trash from both days, like I said, light on modern trash. Some from the jewelry hunt, some from the trail.

20161027_155444.jpg

20161027_155457.jpg

Good hunting.

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck of a pile of stuff for time spent. Congratulations!

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The city is clear cutting all the years of undergrowth. They are killing ash trees everywhere trying to stop the emerald ash borers spreading. Dozens of parks are now accessable in areas nobody has been able to detect for decades...if ever. :icon_thumright:

The upside of the fight against an invasive pest.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on all those coppers. Those George V pennies are not easily found!

I now understand what you meant. It's a key date. :headbang:

And I was thinking before I just looked it up, it wasn't that hard to find, the Deus sniffed it out no problem. Was only 3/4" deep. LOL :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread